Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes starts automatically at startup on Windows 10

I just did a clean install of Windows 10 (Pro N) and installed iTunes (12.2.1.16). Now for some reason iTunes automatically starts whenever I start my PC. I've already tried to find a solution on this site and google and followed different steps to no avail. I've tried:

• In Task Manager -> Autostart: Disable anything iTunes/Apple related. I only have "iTunesHelper" and tried disabling it, but iTunes still starts up automatically.
  • Use CCleaner: Again, only "iTunesHelper" as Startup, and disabling it doesn't change a thing.
  • In iTunes -> Settings: I've disabled automatic sync with iDevices. I also don't have any iDevices plugged into my PC on startup.
  • In msconfig: I disabled all services related to Apple. The startup tab is only a link to the task manager again.
  • In registry: I checked local and current user services, and disabled "iTunesHelper" here too, without a change.

Some more googling gave me the idea that the problem could be a different program/device than iTunes itself, namely a device with media controls or an external hard drive with media.

• Corsair Utility Engine: I have a Corsair K70 RGB with media controls, so I disabled CUE automatic startup in task manager. Now it doesn't automatically start anymore, but iTunes still launches.
  • Logitech Gaming Framework: I have a Logitech G700 with media custom controls, so I disabled LGF automatic startup in task manager. Now it doesn't automatically start anymore, but iTunes still launches.
  • WD MyBook: I have an external hard drive with a lot of media (music/videos) on it, so I unplugged it and then restarted my PC several times. iTunes still automatically launches on every startup.

Now I'm running out of ideas why iTunes is automatically starting up on every launch. Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this issue and how to resolve it? The only thing that is actually working is uninstalling iTunes, but that is not really an option for me.

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 1:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2015 5:04 PM

Found the answer on another site, it works even with Plex.

Go to itunes preferences/advanced and put in a check mark for Share iTunes Library XML with other applications.

No idea why this works but apparently it has something to do with itunes not creating a physical XML file until you check the option, after you enable this option iTunes generates the XML file and Plex no longer launches itunes on reboot/startup.

Worked for me.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2015 5:04 PM in response to Huy227

Found the answer on another site, it works even with Plex.

Go to itunes preferences/advanced and put in a check mark for Share iTunes Library XML with other applications.

No idea why this works but apparently it has something to do with itunes not creating a physical XML file until you check the option, after you enable this option iTunes generates the XML file and Plex no longer launches itunes on reboot/startup.

Worked for me.

iTunes starts automatically at startup on Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.