Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which one to choose between GUID and Master Boot Record Scheme partition

I want to Partition My 1TB hard disk in three parts. One for time machine, one specially for mac and last one for both mac and windows.

I figure out that that Mac OS extended Journal(Case sensitive) is best for first two partition.

And.

exFAT is best for window and mac both.

I want to know which scheme to choose? GUID or Master Boot Record. Since i am unable to choose multiple scheme for different partition (in the option button)

Solve this and also gives suggestion on best way to achieve partition.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), late 2011 model

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 4:35 AM

6 replies

Jul 31, 2015 4:43 AM in response to varun4

It has to be GUID, and if you want to install Windows you should make its partition using Boot Camp. It's not a good idea to have Time Machine on the same disk as your main system and data - if you do that you are simply backing up a disk to itself, and if the disk fails the backup fails. You should use Time Machine on a separate external hard disk, which should by GUID, and use Boot Camp to make your Windows partition.

Jul 31, 2015 7:34 AM in response to varun4

Windows supports GPT disks, unless you are running an archaic version of Windows. I use a FW/USB directly connected disk for local TM and Bootcamp backups. For TM, the disk should be GPT and Journaled HFS+, for Windows it should be NTFS. You do not want to cross partitions across OSes. It can cause data loss.

Which one to choose between GUID and Master Boot Record Scheme partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.