Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photo in the cloud This library contains items that need to be downloaded ..

So - we are now stuck with Photo. To me it's like iPhone 4. Could be worse. Could be Zune. I am sure it will get better with time. Used Aperture. Do not like Lightroom. I had a Mac book pro with SSD and HD > TB for all my iPhotos and iTunes. But hand off and other new was not working 2010 machine.

So I bit the price tag of a new Pro book with 15 inch. Has only 500 GB. What to do with all the data?

I did the move to iTunes Match, had some irritation, but over all, I am sold. Just works. Like it. And Family sharing is great. Our local network is not as great as in the States. Our way around is: all the iPhones have ample space to make your playlist available off line. I moved my iTunes library to my local iMac server as local back up. Cool.

I wanted to do the same with my photos. This is not my music - this is my life on pictures. I had two options: I could do my own network storage NAS or server or make it Apples problem. I am also prepared to throw some money at it and upgrade the iCould space. Also, the free 5 gig space on the iPhone was quite cool. I shared some pictures with family and works.

I also did not want to fiddle with other systems. I am an Apple man. The NAS WD network storage devices all use google or other accounts. I wanted to stay within one system and not mix. Things that work cost money. Nothing is for free. I accept the Apple limitations and would expect it to work. I don't mind the NSA looking at my pictures either. So iCloud it is.

I also favour the bigger picture. All family members could upload to one Cloud and all the pictures would finally be on one 'virtual' device. This would avoid running around looking for pictures on old HD's. All in one place. That's the plan.

Well I did not get passed half the upload bar in the passed 5 days. Should have thought that 25 000 items might take time. I don't have fibre optics. I have 10 Meg line. That's quite fast in our country.

Further I cannot move the library to my new mac. Not migration assistant. No Carbon Copy Cloner. No Just the Mac way. I can copy it but I cannot open it. It says: This library contains items that need to be downloaded ...... The option is Delete incomplete items. Hello? You want to delete what? This is my passed life. Not music I can buy again.

I saw on the discussion group that I am not the only one. One dude even felt the need to press the Delete button. It did not work well for him. He sounded edgy.

All I would like to know, is there light at the end of the tunnel? Does it work?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), iPhone 6+, iPad, mini server.

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 2:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 4:45 AM

Let the library upload. 25000 photos may need a week or even more on a slow network.

Once the library is in iCloud you can download it from iCloud to your new mac.

3 replies

Aug 2, 2015 7:55 PM in response to léonie

Thanks léonie. I will have to add to the network traffic. I somehow knew that. It is also the official Apple advice.

The pictures is still a problem for me. I see now that iCloud is mainly a possibility to share with others and not to store your pictures.

The local storage via WiFi to your local network server or NAS is not a possibility. Photo does not allow to have the library not on the mac you are using. That makes it difficult. It means you cannot buy a bottom line machine the moment you use photos. You need top memory storage if you want to carry it with or an external HD.

What works with the music in iTunes does not work with Photo. This might change buying habits. Instead of me getting at 15 book 500GB with a hefty price I should have bought a desktop machine with an Air to carry around. Price wise compared to the portable book almost all in. That has the advantage that I can upgrade the 1/3 price Air more often and have the latest technology. A 1000 bucks is doable. All the Air must be is light and have lots of battery life.

On the desktop iMac or mini with display I add then the external storage use CCC to mirror the drives. Now I know.

Still up loading only 14000 pictures left. I wonder how that will end.

Aug 3, 2015 1:25 AM in response to the fruit company

I see now that iCloud is mainly a possibility to share with others and not to store your pictures.

This applies to Shared albums - they are for sharing with others, but not useful as a permanent storage because they will reduce the pixel size.

iCloud Photo Library on the other hand cannot be shared between users, unless they are using the same AppleID. But it allows to staore the photos in full resolution in iCloud.

The local storage via WiFi to your local network server or NAS is not a possibility. Photo does not allow to have the library not on the mac you are using.

You can keep the library on a directly connected external drive. A NAS is not possible, because the the file system should be MacOS Extended (Journaled), or you cannot enable iCloud four the Library.

photo in the cloud This library contains items that need to be downloaded ..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.