Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to download Boot Camp drivers when Boot Camp Assistant isn't playing along?

I have what I think is a pretty special use case, I triple boot (OS X, Linux and Windows) on my machine (early 2015 MacBook Pro 13"). This means that Boot Camp Assistant (BCA) is pretty confused when I start it up, and it spits out the error "The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition." I would like to upgrade my machine to Windows 10, and require the driver package for this, but I do not want to repartition my drive for it.

How do I get the drivers for my machine without changing my partition layout?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), Windows 8.1

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 3:07 AM

19 replies

Jul 31, 2015 4:13 AM in response to Csound1

System requirements to install Windows on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support

According to that I need BCA in order to download the drivers for the MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015). So then the only way for me to get updated drivers for Windows every time I want to do so is to first uninstall Windows and Linux? Should there not be a method less destructive available for this?

Jul 31, 2015 4:26 AM in response to Csound1

Indeed, great support here for IT professionals who require a triple-boot configuration.

I did not choose to use Boot Camp, I chose to install Windows on a Mac, and the only way to access the drivers for it is to use Boot Camp. Can we just agree that there should be another way to simply access a support download than to use Boot Camp Assistant?

Jul 31, 2015 4:29 AM in response to Pepparkakan

It is possible to manipulate the Hybrid MBR on older (preUEFI) Macs to to support triple-boot, but you may lose some functionality. On UEFI Macs, you should use EFI boot and boot as many OSes as you care to have.

You can post the output of the following commands and we can figure out if it can be supported outside of BCA.

diskutil list

diskutil cs list

sudo gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk0

sudo fdisk /dev/disk0

The "sudo" commands will prompt for your password, and it will not be echoed back. You may also see a warning about improper use of "sudo" and potential data loss due to "abuse" of the command.

You should also look at rEFInd.

How to download Boot Camp drivers when Boot Camp Assistant isn't playing along?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.