Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recently i upgradeddated updated to iOS 8.4 and now have line across screen. Also, not necessarily related, need to turn off and on to be Able to use wifi connection. What can I do to fix this problem?

I Have an iPad, purchased in December of 2012 - it does not have cellular capabilities so it only functions through a wifi connection.Recently I update the iOS to 8.4. Since then I noticed a line running across the screen. Another issue I am having, not sure this is related to the update. I have to turn off the iPad and then turn it back on to be able to access anything that requires a wifi, such as email, my husband's sportcenter app, or the weather app. It is getting where I maybe look up 1 thing and then I am rebooting. I have backed up on computer and restored back to iPad, I have done the reset but so far nothing has worked. Can I fix this or will I have to take it in to the Apple Store.

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 7:08 AM

10 replies

Jul 31, 2015 9:52 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

I Did try this but my iPad does connect and then for no reason stops working so I have to turn it off and restart. I will then be able to access via the wifi for some more time. This used to happen about once a day so I thought the signal was weak but now I have to do this every time I get online and sometimes multiple times before it works.

Jul 31, 2015 10:21 AM in response to Redkm

You have two separate issues:

1. the "Line" appearing across the display
    1. does it persist in both landscape & portrait?
    2. can you describe it - or better yet, take and post screenshots?
      Press the Home and Sleep/Wake buttons simultaneously to take a screenshot - image will be in your PhotoStream
      if the "line" does NOT appear in the screenshot, it is a hardware issue requiring Genius Bar > Repair
  2. Wi-Fi connection

"...reboot the router by removing all power from it for about 15 seconds. Then, if the router has an option to find the best channel, try using it. If not, try changing the channel a few times to see if it makes a difference..."
    (thanks to Lawrence Finch for his concise eloquence)

Jul 31, 2015 3:51 PM in response to Redkm

LINE

• Still interested in the screenshots - will prove the case, one way or another
  • Answer the question about what happens when you rotate the device - remain or 'follow' is the best description I could give

WIFI

• don;t get ahead of yourself - reset the router per Lawrence's instructions - then report
  • I would be greatly surprised if a new router would prove anything... that would be just like resetting the old for all intents and purposes
  • What OTHER devices connect to your router? Joy with them?

Jul 31, 2015 4:01 PM in response to Redkm

Hey there! I am not sure that this one would help solving your issues.

But please go ahead and try, restart your iphone

Follow the steps:

Press and hold the power button with the home key at the same time for about 10-15 seconds, that will reboot your iphone (you won't lost a single bytes)
And hopefully it will bring things back to normal

good luck, CHeers!

Jul 31, 2015 5:15 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

I did the screen shot and the line was not visible In the photo. The line does not move when you rotate the iPad. It is a horizontal line in landscape mode and a vertical line in portrait mode. Line is approximately 1 1/2 inches from top or 1 1/2 inches from side depending on viewing angle. Had a power dip which reset router and so far wifi is doing ok. Will have to wait and see if this continues to work.

Jul 31, 2015 5:47 PM in response to Redkm

Figures... a visible line that does not move with rotation is physical - not a 'display'. your description of position reminds me of an imperfection in a monster big cathode ray tube monitor I had 25 years ago. The explanation then was that it was part of the 'suspension' of something inside the tube. Genius Bar, here Red comes!

A power outage of sufficient length would sure be equivalent to Lawrences's "...reboot the router by removing all power from it... " - if joy now, my $$ is on it lasting.

Genius Bar eval should be free. Can't say about the display replacement. One of those cost/benefit analysis deals, I suppose.

Let us know how you make out there.

Recently i upgradeddated updated to iOS 8.4 and now have line across screen. Also, not necessarily related, need to turn off and on to be Able to use wifi connection. What can I do to fix this problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.