Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Separate networks - same internet connection

I currently have a network where one airport express is connected to my modem and another airport express repeats the signal. I manage the network for three apartments but I often run in to problems with devices "stealing" each other's IP addresses. This I have found is due to too many devices connecting to the same airport express and thus being more than the 10 devices that the airport express can manage. So my question is whether it is possible to create two separate networks were the second airport express repeats the internet connection from the first airport express but on a different wifi network in order to ensure that not too many devices connect to the same airport express. Or any other suggestions on how to solve this issues would be most appreciated. Thanks

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 6:45 AM

7 replies

Jul 31, 2015 7:06 AM in response to Emilsmith1990

So my question is whether it is possible to create two separate networks were the second airport express repeats the internet connection from the first airport express but on a different wifi network in order to ensure that not too many devices connect to the same airport express

Yes, if the second AirPort Express connects back to an Ethernet port at the head end of the network.

No, if the second Airport Express wirelessly extends the network from the fist Express.

The current version of the AirPort Express will support up to 50 users, so if your single Express produces a signal range that is acceptable, it's possible that a new Express would be all that you need. Although the specifications for the current Express say that it will handle 50 users, realistically things start to get slower and congested at about 25-30 users.

If you buy from Apple, you do have a 14 day return privilege, so if the new Express does not work out, you return it for exchange or refund.

Aug 1, 2015 5:16 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Meant to add that if a single newer version of the AirPort Express will not provide the signal coverage and range that you need, then you really will need two newer Express devices to do what you want.

Using a newer Express as your "main" router and an older version that will only support up to 10 wireless clients might work, if there are only 4-5 wireless devices near the old Express. Much better to use two newer versions of the Express though.

Aug 1, 2015 7:59 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Now as I have already tried to explain the problem is not with lack of signal strength but a problem of conflicting IPs which i thought might be caused by the airports limit of connected units. That is also why I wanted to create two separate networks in order to work around that issue. However I seem to have found a solution to that doing a bit more of an extensive search.. the fix is in one of the comments here http://morning.am/tutorials/fix-apple-wifi-ip-address-conflicts/

I Haven't, however, been able to test it yet as I am traveling at the moment.

Aug 1, 2015 8:12 AM in response to Emilsmith1990

Good luck with your "solution". I do not think it will work because your AirPorts will not easily support the number of devices that you want to connect to the network. If it does work, that is great.

I have had the same issue as you in the past.....the solution that works is to have an AirPort router that is capable of generating far more IP addresses that you will ever need. That way you don't run out of IP addresses, and the conflicts do not occur.....since you have a much larger bank of IP addresses to use.

Separate networks - same internet connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.