Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Second iMac monitor not recognized after restart

Hi everyone!

I just connected an iMac as a second monitor to my main iMac yesterday using a thunder bolt adapter and it worked just fine. I turned on my computer this morning and the second iMac is not recognized. I just don't want to set it up every time I start my computer.

I took the thunder bolt adapter out and inserted in again but that didn't work.

Your help is very much appreciated!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), null

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 6:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 8:07 AM

If you want to turn off either or the computers you have to re-initiate Target Display Mode each time you turn the computers back on. Please look over Apple article about TDM located at Use your iMac as a display with Target Display Mode - Apple Support

Re-initiating is a minor nuisance, you have to type in Command + F2 on the computer that will be the external display and that sets it in motion.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2015 8:07 AM in response to DianaGo

If you want to turn off either or the computers you have to re-initiate Target Display Mode each time you turn the computers back on. Please look over Apple article about TDM located at Use your iMac as a display with Target Display Mode - Apple Support

Re-initiating is a minor nuisance, you have to type in Command + F2 on the computer that will be the external display and that sets it in motion.

Second iMac monitor not recognized after restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.