Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 how do I add it?

Would like to add Windows 10 to my MacBook Air do you recommend this? When adding will I receive the same features as a Windows based PC? My work uses windows and I need to be able to have email and excel. Thanks

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 8:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 8:31 AM

Use a virtual machine like Parallels, Fusion, or VirtualBox. There are to date no Boot Camp Windows 10 drivers.

9 replies

Jul 31, 2015 8:39 AM in response to zookeepers811

You don't just add it. You'll need a Windows 10 installation DVD/USB, so you can install it, or update from an eligible windows version (7,8,8.1) to 10 if you are already running one.

When you install Windows using BootCamp, or one of the virtualization options above, you get Windows just like what you get on a PC. Its not a version of windows, or some windows features. Its a full Windows installation. So you get everything that comes with that.

With that said, Bob, is correct. Apple has not yet released Windows 10 drivers for bootcamp, so there are many things that still don't work correctly in the Windows 10 installation. You can try a Virtual Machine, but you will need a fully licensed Windows installer either way.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Pro-Flash-Drive/dp/B01019TDJ8/ref=sr_1_1 ?ie=UTF8&qid=1438357079&sr=8-1&keywords=…

Jul 31, 2015 10:16 AM in response to zookeepers811

Windows 10 is technically already out. As I said you either need to purchase a full Windows 10 Install, or install an eligible windows version and upgrade for free from that.

Either way you will need to pay for a windows version to install.

Whatever you do, depends on what windows applications you need to run. I would probably go for a Windows 7 or 8 Install DVD. And update from that.

Jul 31, 2015 12:07 PM in response to Phil0124

Phil is right. My advice would be to install Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 (whichever version you have -- with the activation code) using Bootcamp. Forget about Windows 10 for now. You'll be able to install Windows 10 over your Bootcamp installation of Windows (for free) in the next few months, but you should wait until Apple has updated the Bootcamp drivers for Windows 10 before you do that.

Jul 31, 2015 1:12 PM in response to mvneufeld

Thanks again, this is all new to me, so a novice question, where do I download the Windows key? Hope it comes with instructions a 2 year old can understand. I am totally in the dark on all of this. My only other route is too buy a laptop that is windows based and i really don't want to do that. I've had the MBA for a while and like the speed, bought it because I love my iPhone and my other lap top died so I thought why not a apple macbook . Now my

situation has changed and I need it to do more than surf the web and back up the phone.

Jul 31, 2015 1:29 PM in response to zookeepers811

The 25-digit activation key should be printed on the Windows DVD that you bought or that came with your laptop. If you don't have it, you may need to buy a new copy of Windows. That's what I had to do -- I bought a copy of Windows 8.1 Pro For Students for $75 from the Microsoft Store online. Do you have an .edu email address you can use? (Just Google Windows 8.1 Pro For Students.) The upgrade to Windows 10 is free, but you need to have already installed Windows 7 or 8.

If you're a student, also check out Microsoft Office 365 University - four years of Microsoft Office with free updates - Windows and/or Mac.

Finally, you may not need Windows at all. I teach at a state university and don't need it a bit. I use MS Office for Mac. (Of course, you my need to use some Windows-only software...)

Windows 10 how do I add it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.