Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Media Browser Improvements for Office For Mac 2011 or Office 365 For Mac

Have there been any improvements for Office For Mac 2011 or Office 365 With Media Browser Uploads for the Mac Photos Application?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), Mac OS X (10.4), Problems W/ Media Browser w&Photos

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 8:59 AM

4 replies

Jul 31, 2015 9:46 AM in response to bqcurran

You may need to clarify (at least for me) what you mean by "Media Browser Uploads" and what type of improvements you are looking for. The closest thing that is occurring to me is the "Photo Browser" in Word and Excel. It is functional with the Mac Photos application in the current version of Office For Mac (15.12.3) but I can't compare it to 2011. You may get better information in the Microsoft Community Office 2016 For Mac forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2016

Jul 31, 2015 11:06 AM in response to FoxFifth

Thank you, the problem I am having a problem with the media browser in Office 2011 is not being able to find photos from all the photos I have in my photo library. It is unable to retrieve the most recent photos from within the past couple of months. I did have someone suggest from apple tech support that there didn't seem to be a problem with newer version of office 365 for Mac, but did say that it was a beta version they were testing, so he wasn't sure if the present version actually did fix the issues with the media browser having full access to all photos in the photos library.

I would probably prefer to update to 365 rather than to update Office 11 (version: 14.4.9) for Mac because of all the problems I had a couple of months ago when I updated to the next version of Office 11 at the time and the entire office program crashed, and because the Microsoft tech at the time said for me not to do any more automatic updates to 2011.

The Microsoft tech I spoke with today about upgrading to Office 365 for Mac said after checking back and forth numerous times with someone else, that she thought 365 DID NOT CORRECT the media browser problem, but, she did not seem that knowledgeable on the topic.

Jul 31, 2015 11:18 AM in response to bqcurran

I'm still not completely sure we are talking about the same thing (due to my complete lack of knowledge of Office For Mac 2011). I am having no trouble with Office For Mac 2016 using its Insert menu > Pictures > Photo Browser tool and it will find all of the pictures in Photos including the most recent.

Right now, the only way to get Office 2016 for Mac is with an Office 365 subscription. It will be available as a standalone purchase in September.

The following refers to Media Browser in Apple applications and I'm not sure if Office 2011 used it, but if you have your Photos set to "Optimize Mac Storage"

(in Photos > Preferences > iCloud) that may also be worth looking at: If Media Browser doesn't show your entire Photos library - Apple Support

And as I mentioned before, you may find more answers as the Office For Mac 2016 forum that I gave the link to in my earlier post.

Jul 31, 2015 5:48 PM in response to FoxFifth

Thanks, I kept searching on the internet looking for solutions or topics related, but to no avail before I got your most recent response. I ultimately decided to give Office For Mac 2016 or Office For Mac 365 (whichever you prefer to call it) after one more try with tech support with Micro Soft. This time I did get a much more knowledgeable representative, and he assured me that the there were no photo or media browser issues with the 2016 version. And by the way, you were right; we were talking about the same thing. I was quite relieved to read your reply after purchasing the present version 2016. It took a while to download, and as they seem to want to leave 2011 on my computer incase there are any identity issues (which I really didn't understand), but anyway, the rep will call me back tomorrow morning my time to wrap up the install and work out any possible issues, and hopefully, all will run as smoothly as you have found. Just for information's I never had any problem with this photo/media browser with Office 2011 until I updated i photo to the newer photos app. I guess the new operating system updates for Mac also didn't help things either. Anyway, thanks so much for trying to help! Hopefully, I will be pleased as punch with Office For Mac 2016!

Media Browser Improvements for Office For Mac 2011 or Office 365 For Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.