Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

do I need to convert .mov H264 to Prores 422

I shoot with Nikon D800/D750/D600 onto cards and edit with FCPX 10.2.1. Should I convert the .mov H264 to Prores 422.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel i7, 16GBmemo

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 9:09 AM

9 replies

Jul 31, 2015 9:18 AM in response to tplynchy

Depends if your Mac has a good enough GPU to playback the super highly compressed H.264 codec or not. Just import as is, don't Optimize, see how it works. If playback is too difficult for your Mac, then delete it all, and import again from scratch and select to Optimize. My guess is you'll not need to.

Jul 31, 2015 12:13 PM in response to BenB

BenB wrote:

Depends if your Mac has a good enough GPU to playback the super highly compressed H.264 codec or not. Just import as is, don't Optimize, see how it works. If playback is too difficult for your Mac, then delete it all, and import again from scratch and select to Optimize. My guess is you'll not need to.

What???? Why delete it and not simply optimize???

Jul 31, 2015 2:16 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

What???? Why delete it and not simply optimize???

+1

It's not necessary to delete media that wasn't optimized during import and re-import again from scratch and select to Optimize media during import. You can simply right click any selected file(s) in your FCPX Browser and choose to Transcode Media from the contextual menu to create optimized media. You can see if your imported clip has optimized media for it by selecting the clip in the Browser and looking at the Available Media Representations in the Info tab of the Inspector.

Jasper Thayer

Apple Certified Trainer

Aug 10, 2015 12:42 PM in response to tplynchy

You can't do much to a piece of video to actually improve it from its original. You can enhance it with filters but "improve?" Not really.

Converting to ProRes will make your file sizes EXPLODE in size, though. Larry Jordan should have covered the reasons why it is desirable to do the conversions. If not, look back through his youtube material to find that episode. Converting from H.264 to ProRes can be a personal choice, an efficiency booster, a technical necessity, or a waste of time.

do I need to convert .mov H264 to Prores 422

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.