Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Long time iPhone user, first time iPad user - questions :)

Hi! I've had iPhones for about 6 years now.

I currently have an iPhone 5 16GB.

I'm finding it's just not enough for my needs anymore. I hardly EVER use it to make a voice call, it's all about email, kindle, iTunes, pictures, video. The screen is so tiny! I looked into upgrading to a 6 or even a 6+ but there is no way on earth I can afford that 😟

So, I thought maybe I'd get an iPad or iPad mini used or refurb. That, I can afford (even though the idea of have two devices does not thrill me).

I've never used an iPad in my life. I understand I do not need to sign up for any plans, I can just use my home WiFi and public WiFi. But what I don't know is... everything else. Please forgive the noob questions, but I have tried researching online before posting here and didn't get the answers to these questions:

Will my Apple ID for the iTunes store work on my iPad?

Do I have to re-purchase and/or download all the apps and Kindle books that are already on my phone or do the two devices somehow connect and share?

Can I plug the iPad into my computer the same way I do my phone, so I can transfer photos off the device onto my computer hard-drive?

What about iTunes music and playlists? Will it work OK with my phone and my iPad? (Can it support two devices?)

What kind of iPad (or iPad mini) should I get that's not too old, so the user experience is similar to my iPhone 5?

Thanks very much in advance -- I'd really like some guidance before I start poking around on eBay or Amazon to buy an iPad.

StaciLayne

iPhone 5, Windows 7

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 9:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 9:40 AM

RESPONSES BELOW IN CAPS, NOT TO SHOUT, BUT TO DISTINGUISH FROM YOUR TEXT.

StaciLayneWilson wrote:

I'm finding it's just not enough for my needs anymore. I hardly EVER use it to make a voice call, it's all about email, kindle, iTunes, pictures, video. The screen is so tiny! I looked into upgrading to a 6 or even a 6+ but there is no way on earth I can afford that 😟

So, I thought maybe I'd get an iPad or iPad mini used or refurb. That, I can afford (even though the idea of have two devices does not thrill me).

I've never used an iPad in my life. I understand I do not need to sign up for any plans, I can just use my home WiFi and public WiFi. But what I don't know is... everything else. Please forgive the noob questions, but I have tried researching online before posting here and didn't get the answers to these questions:

YES YOUR APPLE ID WILL WORK THE SAME ON THE IPAD AS THE IPHONE

Do I have to re-purchase and/or download all the apps and Kindle books that are already on my phone or do the two devices somehow connect and share?

SOME APPS ARE IOS DEVICE SPECIFIC IN THAT THEY ONLY SUPPORT THE ONE SCREEN SIZE. SOME ARE ADJUSTABLE. YOU WILL HAVE TO TRY EACH APP BY GOING TO YOUR APP STORE > PURCHASES AND TRY DOWNLOADING THE APP TO THE IPAD AND SEE IF IT WORKS.

Can I plug the iPad into my computer the same way I do my phone, so I can transfer photos off the device onto my computer hard-drive?

YES, ALL IOS DEVICES INTERFACE THE SAME WAY, AND BE SURE TO MAKE AN ITUNES BACKUP AND KEEP IT UP TO DATE.

What about iTunes music and playlists? Will it work OK with my phone and my iPad? (Can it support two devices?)

IPADS SUPPORT THE SAME ITUNES MUSIC BASE AS THE IPHONE AND IPOD.

What kind of iPad (or iPad mini) should I get that's not too old, so the user experience is similar to my iPhone 5?

IF YOU ARE NOT LOOKING FOR BRAND NEW, CONSIDER THE REFURBISHED UNITS BY GOING TO THE STORE, TOP LEFT OF THE GREY MENU BAR FOR THIS PAGE, THEN LOWER LEFT UNDER ADDITIONAL STORES GO TO THE REFURBISHED STORE. THOSE UNITS HAVE BEEN REFURBISHED BY APPLE, HAVE NEW BATTERIES, NEW CASES, ANY FAULTS REPAIRED, AND CARRY A STANDARD APPLE ONE YEAR WARRANTY. CANNOT TELL THEM FROM NEW.

Thanks very much in advance -- I'd really like some guidance before I start poking around on eBay or Amazon to buy an iPad.

StaciLayne

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU AND TAKE YOUR TIME MAKING A DECISION.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2015 9:40 AM in response to StaciLayneWilson

RESPONSES BELOW IN CAPS, NOT TO SHOUT, BUT TO DISTINGUISH FROM YOUR TEXT.

StaciLayneWilson wrote:

YES YOUR APPLE ID WILL WORK THE SAME ON THE IPAD AS THE IPHONE

SOME APPS ARE IOS DEVICE SPECIFIC IN THAT THEY ONLY SUPPORT THE ONE SCREEN SIZE. SOME ARE ADJUSTABLE. YOU WILL HAVE TO TRY EACH APP BY GOING TO YOUR APP STORE > PURCHASES AND TRY DOWNLOADING THE APP TO THE IPAD AND SEE IF IT WORKS.

YES, ALL IOS DEVICES INTERFACE THE SAME WAY, AND BE SURE TO MAKE AN ITUNES BACKUP AND KEEP IT UP TO DATE.

IPADS SUPPORT THE SAME ITUNES MUSIC BASE AS THE IPHONE AND IPOD.

IF YOU ARE NOT LOOKING FOR BRAND NEW, CONSIDER THE REFURBISHED UNITS BY GOING TO THE STORE, TOP LEFT OF THE GREY MENU BAR FOR THIS PAGE, THEN LOWER LEFT UNDER ADDITIONAL STORES GO TO THE REFURBISHED STORE. THOSE UNITS HAVE BEEN REFURBISHED BY APPLE, HAVE NEW BATTERIES, NEW CASES, ANY FAULTS REPAIRED, AND CARRY A STANDARD APPLE ONE YEAR WARRANTY. CANNOT TELL THEM FROM NEW.

StaciLayne

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU AND TAKE YOUR TIME MAKING A DECISION.

Jul 31, 2015 9:47 AM in response to StaciLayneWilson

StaciLayneWilson wrote:

Yes it will. In fact that is recommended. Creating a second Id could make things more complicated.

Purchase, no, not if you are using the same ID. Not all apps are available for both devices, but the most are. You will need to download them, but will not need to pay for those you have already paid for.

Yes, the iPad functions very much like your iPhone does.

From a hardware aspect, there will be a few differences regardless, but you won't have any trouble picking up on those; and iPads get iOS updates the same time iPhones do, with more or less the same of similar features. My recommendation is to go for the newest model you feel you can afford. I'm also not a fan of purchasing used iOS devices, but if you do, make sure it is from a reputable seller, and through a service that will offer some sort of guarantee..

Some links you find useful:

http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/

http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

http://help.apple.com/ipad/8/

Jul 31, 2015 9:51 AM in response to StaciLayneWilson

The answer to all of the questions that can be answered yes or no is - YES.

You should use the same Apple ID on both devices.

You don't have to purchase the apps again, but you will have to download them all from the App Store after you sign I with your Apple ID. You can download your Kindle books again using the Kindle app on the iPad.

You use an iPad with your computer just like you are doing with your phone. You can backup and sync with iTunes - everything that you do with the phone, you can do with the iPad. You will be able to sync your photos,

Music and playlists are part of iTunes so what I said about syncing, backing up, photos, etc. applies here as well.

The user experience is very similar on all iOS devices. If you know your way around an iPhone, you will do just fine. There is an iPad user guide available as a pdf manual that can be downloaded and there is a free iPad User Guide Book available in the iBooks Store that you can download.

This is just my personal opinion, but I would never buy a used iPad from anyone other than Apple. So many users buy used iOS devices and find that they cannot unlock the device due the the "seller" not erasing the device properly and removing the activation lock and the "seller" can't be contacted for reasons that can't be explained. What I am alluding to is IMO, there are too many stolen iOS devices out there on eBay and other such sites. Amazon should be more trustworthy, but once again, I would buy a refurb from Apple.

I wouldn't get anything older that an iPad 4 at this point. Everything but the first iPad will be upgradable to iOS 9, but you will not be able to use all of the features on any iPad except for the iPad Air 2 which is the very latest iPad available. Anything in between is just a matter of screen size, RAM, and processor speed.

Jul 31, 2015 9:55 AM in response to StaciLayneWilson

Hi

The iPad is just like the iphone if you use the same Apple ID

You will get all your apps on your ipad

You only have to pay for Apps once.

Also if you get the wifi only model

You can contact to wifi hotshots

Also you can use a mifi dongle

I have one for holidays.

Since ios 7 you can do almost everything

Over wifi software updates

When you charge an iPhone / ipad

It Automatically backs up to iCloud .

I would buy the ipad Air 1 £359.0 was £479.00

Thats for 32G or have a look on Ebay .

Cheers

Brian uk

Jul 31, 2015 9:57 AM in response to Demo

Thank you!

One of the biggest reasons for my wanting an additional device is so I can use it as a stereo (the iPhone 5's external speakers are not good... I liked the sound of my iPhone 3 better!).

So what happens when I plug my new iPad into my existing iTunes? Currently, when I plug my phone into my laptop, it recognizes it as "Staci's iPhone." Will the iPad be recognized as an "external device" or...?

Thanks again.

Jul 31, 2015 10:03 AM in response to StaciLayneWilson

Will pretty much work the same as the iPhone.

When the iPad was first introduced, it was jokingly referred to as a "giant iPhone without the phone". While that isn't entirely true, it is very similar in many respects, including syncing, purchasing and downloading apps, accessing iCloud, etc. If you have been using an iPhone for some time (and it appears you have) you will have no problems mastering the iPad.

Long time iPhone user, first time iPad user - questions :)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.