Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mouse cursor lags with external monitor

Hi guys,

I am using a new macbook 12 inch retina 2015, connected to a microsoft wireless mouse 5000 (it has own usb wireless adaptor, not bluetooth) and a external LG monitor (23inch, 1080p), the mouse and hdmi cable are connected to the macbook using the Apple official USB type c adaptor.

When the external monitor is plugged into the macbook as an extended display, the mouse cursor often lags. When the ext monitor is unplugged (i.e. using the macbook monitor only), no lags at all.

This is not a mouse/monitor hardware issue. As I have the exact same setup using a macbook Air 2011 and there have never been any lags with the mouse.

Any one have similar issue or is able to advise? Thanks!

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 10:00 AM

1 reply

Nov 30, 2016 12:11 AM in response to brian172

Hello,

I have the same problem with my mouse on my late 2014 MBP. Must mention that my mouse is not a BT mouse, but a wifi Asus model.

I solved the lag problem by understanding first the issue. I didn't thought for a second that a lagging mouse problem can be linked to transparency of the background for example..like I saw in other cases.. or modifying other type of settings. It just didn't make any sense and it also seemed batshit crazy to me to think so. It's like changing a wireless router signal problem by repainting the walls in another color.

So my thought was what if my monitor(which is a Phillips and not a Dell like in most cases) is making some sort of antenna with it's HDMI cable and the thunderbolt HDMI adaptor, that blocks or interfere with my mouse wifi signal.

So all I did was to wrap some aluminum foil on the HDMI connection from the monitor with the HDMI connection from the thunderbolt adaptor. It all worked well. And just to make sure that this was the problem, I've taken down the foil to see if the lagging appears again, and it did, just seconds after the removal of the foil. Put the foil back and it disappeared.

So until it will start lagging again, and I surely hope it will not, I'm sticking my guns to a more realistic approach than changing background transparencies like I've saw on other cases.. 🙂

I'm sticking to this theory for now and I hope it would solve your/others problem too.

Cheers!

Mouse cursor lags with external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.