Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does Hidden Activity Rules in my Apple ID Preferences mean?

I have a list of my questions I have submitted to the community within the above Hidden Activity Rules section. What does it mean?

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 10:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 11:42 AM

Can you post links to the questions here?

23 replies

Jul 31, 2015 11:53 AM in response to barneyhairball

barneyhairball wrote:

I have a list of my questions I have submitted to the community within the above Hidden Activity Rules section. What does it mean?

To us, Nothing. It is a feature that is relevant to the full-blown JiveSoftware Collaborative Workflow Environment.

https://docs.jivesoftware.com/cloud_int/end_user/jive.help.core/user/VisibilityO ptionsforContentTypes.html

Mine is broken! It shows 3 threads in which I have no participation - BUT - someone I ONCE Followed IS a participant , NOT the thread's Author.

That page - "Your Preferences" has always seemed to me to have escaped scrutiny when it comes time for a ASC "makeover"

Before you ask... two more non-functioning prefs are:

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

DISCUSSION View Style IS a relevant pref and it WORKS. I prefer "Threaded". A side effect of the two choices is related somehow to "Phantom Posts" - you know a post exists in a thread from a notice or the "Last reply by" - but it is not there. Switching from threaded to flat then save - reload the PP page and vioila!

Jul 31, 2015 12:17 PM in response to barneyhairball

At some point you have used the Activity Stream to view posts made to the community and then, for a number of them, clicked a link that reads "stop following this discussion" which prevents future updates to that thread showing in Activity Stream.

If you're looking for threads you've been involved in try these. The first three will highlight threads with new activity:

tt2

Jul 31, 2015 12:55 PM in response to turingtest2

Your Magic Twangers are very helpful!!

turingtest2 wrote:

At some point you have used the Activity Stream to view posts made to the community and then, for a number of them, clicked a link that reads "stop following this discussion" which prevents future updates to that thread showing in Activity Stream.

SNIP

... so this is not the same thing as toggling with "Tools"?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

If Since not, seems a more appropriate wording for the link might read "... HIDE this discussion from your Activity Stream - you will still be 'following' the thread and receive email notifications (id desired)"

the 1st part of the statement is all that is required to make it clear(er) - ToolTips on hover are also cool things since the status bar is not at all helpful on the link

The actual prefPane is a tiny bit more informational - if you're brave enough to blindly click "Undo", not knowing if you will break the InterWeb or not.

User uploaded file

*its time for you to write a User GUIDE - Tip 😎

Aug 1, 2015 8:04 AM in response to barneyhairball

Activity Stream is a page where you can view your "Active" threads... each thread has abbreviated posts (like a Facebook page) and the ability to reply PLUS the LinkTool to which tt2 referred "Stop following this discussion" which really is "Hiding" the thread from the Activity Stream page ONLY.

You get to Activity Stream by choosing the Tool at top right of any ASC page - it displays YOUR activity (participating threads) in descending order list

Aug 1, 2015 10:02 AM in response to barneyhairball

Hopefully CCC's explanation of activity stream has cleared things up. I would suggest you go back to your Preferences page and undo all of those hidden rules for now to avoid missing out on replies to your posts. I would imagine that feature is more useful for regular contributors who make use of activity stream on a regular basis and have become connected to one of the ongoing rant type threads which they no longer want to bother with.

This particular link - barneyhairball's following discussions - should be the best place to see if one of your questions has had a reply. I recommend you add it to your bookmarks.

tt2

Aug 1, 2015 7:03 PM in response to bobseufert

It may give you the appearance that it works, but have you looked at MY Bio page and seen Last logged in there? I do NOT see it on yours... to wit:

User uploaded file

I see it on MyBio-MyView as Owner(Registered User?)

User uploaded file

BTW, my Online Visibility setting is "OFF" - apparently two different things, amigo

You can play around with what people see on the Privacy Settings TAB of the Edit Profile page - but I am not confident that it tells the truth.

*pay close attention to the green 'banner' bar at the top for easy switching

Left = 'Everyone" -- Right = "Registered users" <If the latter is true, then why can't I see your "Last logged"?

What does Hidden Activity Rules in my Apple ID Preferences mean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.