Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Advices about reinstall mavericks (or install Yosemite ?

After an installation of Xcode 6.2 on my iMac12,2 running Mavericks 10.9.5 and bypassing some System alerts I did not understand at first, but launchd process relative if I remember well, I can't resolve some recurring alerts ( after each boots ) when the finder is launching (upper right icons loading time). I can see a stalled process in Activity Monitor: iTunes helper. (in red). I force it to quit ( maybe a bad idea ). I also have had this old famous -10810 error when I wanted to launch iTunes and some other applications.
What I did till now I can't believe my own stupidity (reparations and foolish actions)

• PRAM & SMC resetting using the appropriate shortkeys at boot
  • Running a Safe boot without problems
  • Running in Verbose mode
  • Running in recovery mode & clean + check permissions ( several entries to fix (4))
  • Fixing the launch services database with my beloved utility CleanMyMac3.0.2 but maybe other deletions/disabling of files I should not have do ( launch agents and/or login items; but not iTunes Helper login ! )
  • Using this iMac in a long session, rummaging through the hidden system files

Is there any tool or anyone able to help me solve this erratic behavior of Maverick ( erratic but probably because of me )

Last resort that doesn't make me happy would probably be a reinstall Maverick above the existant OS. I have no sufficient space available to make a backup and the Time Capsule/machine restoration generally break numerous third party Apps.

If such a new installation of Mavericks delete the files that apps bought outside AppleStore install into the system itself or delete their preferences, licenses, etc… I will probably avoid. Or for that matter I'd rather bluntly migrate to Yosemite. What is your opinion ?

Please don't blame me about the mistakes done in a language I'm not familiar with. If you don't understand, ask me.

TIA, Alain

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 12,2 (mid 2011) Odd

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 9:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 2:20 PM

If your system is not running correctly with Mavericks upgrading to Yosemite may even be worse. You need to get back to ground zero, CleanMymac is bad to use and can cause more issues then it fixes. You may need to erase your drive and do an internet recovery for Mavericks if that was what it came with. Once it is operating correctly you can then reinstall your third party programs one at a time to be sure all is working correctly. TM should not break third party apps if running correctly. I have used TM many times and always works although I have had to restore 2 times in a row for it to work at times.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2015 2:20 PM in response to FrenchAlain55

If your system is not running correctly with Mavericks upgrading to Yosemite may even be worse. You need to get back to ground zero, CleanMymac is bad to use and can cause more issues then it fixes. You may need to erase your drive and do an internet recovery for Mavericks if that was what it came with. Once it is operating correctly you can then reinstall your third party programs one at a time to be sure all is working correctly. TM should not break third party apps if running correctly. I have used TM many times and always works although I have had to restore 2 times in a row for it to work at times.

Aug 1, 2015 8:45 AM in response to FrenchAlain55

As was previously suggested, uninstall CleanMyMac 3.

You do not need to use cleaning programs. They can destroy your computer operation as they may already have done.

CleanMyMac - Uninstall

CleanMyMac2 Un-install

CleanMyMac 3 Uninstall

After un-installing, use this program to make sure you got all the pieces.

EasyFind – Spotlight Replacement

Since the Safe mode was normal it may be a 3rd party application.

Try running this program and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read.

Etrecheck – System Information

Advices about reinstall mavericks (or install Yosemite ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.