Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos vs iPhoto libraries

Now that I've converted my iPhoto library to Photos library, can I delete the iPhoto library as they both are taking up 106 GB of storage?

Is there any issues doing this?

Thanks,

Rookie

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), 16GB RAM

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 12:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 12:46 PM

1. Yes, but if you decide to use iPhoto for some reason, you won’t be able to import the Photos library into it. Note that they both reference the same files on the drive, so deleting the iPhoto library won’t free up anything near 106GB of space.

2. See above.

(131045)

5 replies

Aug 1, 2015 2:38 AM in response to Walter Branam

Is there any issues doing this?

At least keep a backup of the iPhoto Library on an external drive.

We have seen several cases, where suddenly a problem turned up in the Photos library that only could be fixed by repairing the original iPhoto Librar i iPhoto and repeating the migration., for example, if the connection between the edited versions and the original image files had been out for some photos. Such problems can go undetected for a long time, and you will only notice them, when you try to edit or export the photos. So keep the original iPhoto Library until you are reasonably sure, that all photos migrated well.

Photos vs iPhoto libraries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.