Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inadequate iTunes support for classical music

The following reference to an article in The Atlantic explains why, as a classical music fan, I will likely drop Apple Music when the three-month free trial expires:

How iTunes Fails Classical Music Fans

By Josh Centers
http://tidbits.com/article/15828

Over at The Atlantic, Robinson Meyer explains how iTunes, and even the MP3 format, fails fans of classical music. It began with a lack of a composer tag in the MP3 format, which was only added to iTunes in 2004. Furthermore, Meyer says Apple Music offers slim pickings for classical fans, as well as a number of library-wrecking bugs.

Are others having this same problem with iTunes?

Mac Pro (Early 2008), Mac OS X (10.7.4), Mail

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 10:50 AM

1 reply

Jul 31, 2015 11:51 AM in response to cajonpass

Yes, and a composer tag is there now. So?

Slim pickings? Maybe. I don't know, I don't use the Apple Music service or even the iTunes Store. I don't know the market demographics but I bet not many of the under 30s I see walking around with earbuds screwed into their ears and almost all carrying i-gadgets aren't listing to Bach. Most of the people I know who are into classical music aren't into electronic gadgets and do the basic cellphone, no mp3 player, if any at all. Companies follow the $$.

Library wrecking bugs. Okay, read the forum. There's an upswing of posts here with any new iTunes release. This one did something radical in terms of a new service and given that there are billions of computers out there and no two are identical it is not surprising there's a fraction of a percent that have issues. The only thing that is boringly repetitive is that people don't back up their computers first and then end up in a mess. Yawn. I am not an early upgrader so I let others beta test for me. 👿 Oh, there are some issues with the service that will take time to iron out, and probably some things that can never be ironed out, but bloggers have to have something to write about. Try to make a big noise, preferably bash something, try to turn things into a conspiracy or two, people will read your site. No, Apple Music isn't structured for everybody.

iTunes has never been wonderful for classical music structuring. You're welcome to explore alternatives. Or you can ask specific technical questions and we can try to answer them.

Inadequate iTunes support for classical music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.