Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my time machine backups stopped working with my macbook pro

My time machine backups stopped working between my macbook pro retina and airport. Airport v7.6.4 and macbook OS X 10.10.4. Time machine works correctly between same macbook pro and 1TB My Passport. Last successful backup July 14.

Time Machine error reads "Time Machine could complete the backup to Time Capsule" ; the backup disk image /volumes/data/macbook pro.sparesebundlecould not be accessed (error(null)).

However when I use the Airport Utility, I can confirm I am connected to the device, seeing green dots on all devices.

Any guidance and tips are appreciated.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012), iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 11:09 AM

1 reply

Jul 31, 2015 3:33 PM in response to but1er

Apple does not support TM backups to USB disk plugged into the previous generation Extreme.. only the Gen6 is supported.

I know lots of people have used it for TM but lots of people also experience issues like you do.

See http://pondini.org/TM/Airport.html

I am not sure of exactly what you are doing.. are you backing up to 1TB passport plugged directly into the computer.. which should work fine as long as it is formatted HFS+ then moving that same disk to the airport?? That will not work.. TM works differently on local and network drives.. to make a backup on a network drive you must begin the backup there.

my time machine backups stopped working with my macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.