Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I was trying to forward an email of an airline itinerary. Computer locked to turning wheel. Turning off nor FORCE QUIT will not reset. Any suggestions?

I have a

Mac Pro 3.2GHz Quad Core Xeon. - Apple Computer. I was trying to forward an email of an airline itinerary. The computer froze to spinning wheel.

I have tried turning it off, unplugging and replugging, or doing force quit, but I cannot get it to reset.

Any suggestions?

Mac Pro, unsure of OS

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 11:49 AM

3 replies

Aug 3, 2015 5:11 AM in response to CMSinCA

A common misunderstanding by users is confusing a computer with a monitor. If one turns off the monitor you are not turning off the computer, so when you turn the monitor back on the computer will still be in the same state as before.

Another possible issue is that the power button on Macs can be set to act both as a sleep button and as an off/on button. If you only briefly press this button then it may put the computer to sleep and when you wake it then the computer will wake to the same state it was when you put it to sleep. To fully power it off you need to hold the power button on the computer for at least five second.

In the case of the Mac Pro it will have its own power button and display will also have its own power button. An iMac as comparison has a built in display and only has one power button which turns on/off both the computer and screen.

It is not clear which model Mac Pro you have, a current small round one, or the older silver tower. On the older silver tower one the power button is on the front, on the newer round one it is on the back where all the sockets are.

Aug 4, 2015 8:43 AM in response to CMSinCA

Hmmm...what John Lockwood said. Hold down the Power button until it shuts down. On the older silver tower, there's a light above the power button. Disconnect the power cord. wait about 30 seconds, maybe 45 seconds, and plug the power cord back in, and restart computer. other than that, try zapping the pram. reboot computer---- hold down command, option, P and R keys quickly, just after you have pushed the power button to reboot. Hold down for 3 "bongs" and let go . let computer boot normally and see if that does any good.

JB

I was trying to forward an email of an airline itinerary. Computer locked to turning wheel. Turning off nor FORCE QUIT will not reset. Any suggestions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.