Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I updated to OS X Yosemite and my iPhotos were put into Photos but I can't get my videos to play on my macbook pro or my iPhone now

Macbook Pro

updated to OS X Yosemite 10.10.4

iphotos transferred to photos but can't view iPhoto videos

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 10:54 AM

6 replies

Aug 1, 2015 8:17 AM in response to LarryHN

Thank you for the advice. I can play my videos that are on my phone but I get a quicktime can't open them message at photos. I will try getting iPhoto 9.6.1 or checking to see if I had it. I don't know when Ill have time to do this but I do appreciate your time taken to help me out! Hopefully it does the trick 🙂

Aug 1, 2015 10:55 AM in response to amklens

There have been other reports of Photos not being about to play some formats. You can try the fix that léonie found and posted here:

léonie i

Nov 26, 2014 7:34 AM

Re: (OSStatus error -54)

in response to Chris Pugh

Solved

One reason why videos don't play after extensive cleaning might be a missing cached file.

With MacOSX Mavericks and Mt. Lion it helped to rebuild the cache using a Terminal command:

Try this fix posted by andyBall_UK

• Open a Terminal window (the Terminal.app is in Applications > Utilities)
  • Copy and paste the line below into the Terminal window, hit return and enter your administrator password.

sudo /usr/libexec/xpchelper --rebuild-cache

If you do not want to use a Terminal command you can achieve the same thing by booting into recovery and reinstalling the system on top of your current system - don't wipe the drive again. OS X: About OS X Recovery

A workaround for me on a couple was to click and drag the video thumbnail to the Desktop. That will start a conversion to a format that Photos could use. When the conversion is completed import the new file into Photos and try playing it again.

User uploaded file

I updated to OS X Yosemite and my iPhotos were put into Photos but I can't get my videos to play on my macbook pro or my iPhone now

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.