Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

network connection of os9 on g3 to os 10.8 on macbook

Hi, I need to transfer files from my Apple PowerBook G3 series running Mac OS 9.2, to my new MacBook pro running OS 10.10.3.

I tried to use apple talk network to connect both system but was unsuccessful. Please advise.

PowerBook, Mac OS 9.2.x

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 11:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 4:07 PM

Hi,

The table at http://www.applefool.com/se30/#afpnetwork could perhaps be of interest to you. As you can see, the two operating systems are not compatible (at least not without modification, which is something that you normally do not want to do).

However, there are alternatives.

One could possibly be to install a small FTP server (like the now free NetPresenz) on the PowerBook G3, and then use an FTP client (or a web browser) at the modern Mac.

Another way could be to buy an inexpensive PC Card adapter for CompactFlash and a standard CompactFlash memory card. Used in a PC Card slot of the PowerBook G3, the CF card will act as a removable hard drive. Via a USB card reader, the files on the CF card could be read at a more modern computer.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2015 4:07 PM in response to 4oo

Hi,

The table at http://www.applefool.com/se30/#afpnetwork could perhaps be of interest to you. As you can see, the two operating systems are not compatible (at least not without modification, which is something that you normally do not want to do).

However, there are alternatives.

One could possibly be to install a small FTP server (like the now free NetPresenz) on the PowerBook G3, and then use an FTP client (or a web browser) at the modern Mac.

Another way could be to buy an inexpensive PC Card adapter for CompactFlash and a standard CompactFlash memory card. Used in a PC Card slot of the PowerBook G3, the CF card will act as a removable hard drive. Via a USB card reader, the files on the CF card could be read at a more modern computer.

network connection of os9 on g3 to os 10.8 on macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.