Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Touch (5th) photos erased

I plugged my iPod touch (5th) into my new MacBook (retina). iPod had loads of pictures. Apparently made one wrong click (chose "Since last update" instead of ""new" when setting up to macbook for iTunes for first time) and now two years of photos - of which my two youngest children's beginning of life were included - have now been erased. ANY HELP FOR ME AT ALL??? (I didn't have them backed by iCloud.) I am completely heartbroken.

iPod touch 5th generation

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 12:45 PM

7 replies

Jul 31, 2015 1:17 PM in response to afaraa

Sounds like the iPod was previously synced to another computer. When you change syncing computer by just plugging the iPod to the camputer and click yes to the box that says that the device was previously synced to another computer iTunes backups up the iPod and then restores the iPod from that backup.

The backup does not include any photos synced to the iPod (it does included photos in the Camera Roll album) and synced media like apps and music.

Where were the photos?

If you go to iTunes>Preferences>Devices is a backup listed? If the date/time is when you connected the iPod then restore from that backup to get your camera Roll photo.

Just make sure that yo do not backup now since the previous backup will be overwritten with the changes (photos deleted from backup)

Jul 31, 2015 2:15 PM in response to afaraa

Thank you for replying. Sorry I am not very good with computers (I guess that is obvious because of what happened). Are you saying that maybe I should plug the iPod Touch into the old computer and try to backup from there? I am scared to try anything at this point unless I know step-by-step what to do. I'm hoping there is some way to recover them. They say that files/pictures/etc are never really deleted unless you scrub the hard-drive. I don't know how iPod Touch works but as far as I know I didn't scrub it but it just overwrote on the new computer... (if that makes sense)? Thank you for helping.

Jul 31, 2015 2:23 PM in response to afaraa

- First were the photos synced to the iPod? If so then y will have to get them fro where y got them before.

- If you connect the iPod to and have the iTunes configured to automatically backup when connect then the backup on the original computer will be overwrittem

To help prevent the last backup from being overwritten and thus erasing the Messages from the last backup turn off autosyncing so that you have to overtly start a sync. To turn off go iTunes>Preferences>Devices and check the box that says "Prevent iPods...".

- If you go to iTunes>Preferences>Devices on both computers what is the date and time of the last backup backup

Aug 1, 2015 11:25 AM in response to lllaass

I realized what happened. I have a 2nd (I think) generation iPod Touch. It has the same name as my 5th generation. Different serial #'s of course. When I plugged in my 5th generation into my new macbook and iTunes started I chose the backup from the 2nd generation one. It wrote it onto the new one even thought the serial numbers are different... I didn't have them backed up anywhere it seems. Is there ANY way at all to get them?? As I was saying before, they say that nothing is every truly erased unless you damage or break the hard disk. I wonder if the genius bar could do anything either?

iPod Touch (5th) photos erased

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.