Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Autofill uses email removed from my contact card

Hi,

I have already gone through Safari's prefs for autofill and actually completely removed the old email address from my contact card (a month ago), restarted the Mac, but autofill still determinedly uses the wrong address, but ONLY when a form asks for nothing other than my email address. If the form asks for anything more, e.g. just my first name, then autofill will put in the correct email address. Someone in an Apple store said that info is actually stored in the keychain, so I tried trashing the one key I could find with autofill in the name, restarted, but no change. The key's "password" was unfortunately not the information, but a lengthy encryption password that likely leads back to the incorrect source of my complaint. Yes, this happens on both macs and IOS devices.

How, oh how can I fix this irritating bug? It's one thing having to override (and not let it override me) autofill on my mac, but having to continually type in my rather long email address on the phone is grumble inducing.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Gretchen

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 11:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 12:31 PM

Open Keychain Access again then select Password on the left.

Type: Safari Forms AutoFill in the seach field top right corner of the Keychain Access window.

Then right or control click that keychain then click Delete.

Restart your Mac then launch Safari to test.

A new Safari Forms AutoFill keychain will be generated automatically.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2015 12:31 PM in response to virtual.gretchen

Open Keychain Access again then select Password on the left.

Type: Safari Forms AutoFill in the seach field top right corner of the Keychain Access window.

Then right or control click that keychain then click Delete.

Restart your Mac then launch Safari to test.

A new Safari Forms AutoFill keychain will be generated automatically.

Jul 31, 2015 1:58 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hi Carolyn,

Thank you for your quick reply! I tried that and it still determinedly puts the wrong email address in! Grrr. When I look in Keychain it says the password -- and that's all that's shown is a password -- is stored in "PersonalFormsAutoFillDatabase". Searching in HoudaSpot, which will look within Libraries, I can't find any such file. I'm guessing that a file with a new name but a similar function exists, but I still don't know what is and isn't a good idea to throw away to fix this rather than throw away to cause myself more work!

Any further thoughts?

Gretchen

Jul 31, 2015 4:06 PM in response to virtual.gretchen

Ok... delete the cache associated with Safari.

Open a Finder window. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Click Go then move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

Restart your Mac then try Safari.

If that didn't help, it may be corrupted Safari preferences.

Back to the Finder.

Type or copy paste the following:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

Click Go then move the com.apple.Safari.plist file to the trash.

Quit then relaunch Safari to test again.

Jul 31, 2015 9:37 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hi Carolyn,

Thank you again, and I'm sorry to say that rather amazingly, neither of those removals (complete with emptying the trash and restarts) did diddly squat for this problem! I'm guessing it is perhaps lodged in iCloud somewhere since this problem shows up on my other Mac too?? I looked at Safari autofill prefs with Pref Setter, but all it has was the fact that I have autofill turned on and it's boolean. HOWEVER I just looked in Contacts on iCloud and it did have the wrong email address, but that was 10 down on my email address list with the tag "NOT" on it. I removed it, and now rather than using my @mac.com address which is the first one listed, tagged as Home, the autofill is using the second address, @icloud.com, which is tagged as Other! I just asked my partner if he has problems with this, and he said he stopped using it becomes it always put in his evernote address, which is about 7th in his list!

iCloud neurosis?

ciao,

Gretchen

Aug 1, 2015 3:53 PM in response to virtual.gretchen

Hi Carolyn,

This is insanity! I trashed my existing contacts card, started a new one, and as long as I only put in one email address, all is well, when I begin to add others, autofill seems to randomly switch to say my gmail address, even though it's third down on the list. Any idea of where the underlying problem might be?

Thanks,

Gretchen

Aug 1, 2015 11:11 PM in response to virtual.gretchen

Your last response was the suggestion I was about to imply. As for me I to have had this problem. What I did was started from scratch. I erased my contact card and then cleared all cache ect. Then I created two cards one with my info (Basic) and provided only the one email address that I preferred for my autofill information. Then I created another card with mainly all my info. I may have to go check but the one with the basic info I do believe has the little person figure beside it and is the one that is pulled from when autofill is requested. Seems to be working so far. That said your problem maybe a little deeper ingrained. Also as a example one of my cards reads Richard the other reads Ricky. Sorry that this is just a bandaid but it does seem to be working

Aug 2, 2015 8:41 PM in response to RadicalRick

Thanks Rick, I might try that! I've got it pretty stripped down right now, but autofill seems to have gone into a complete snit and is currently not working despite being set to work, the minimalist card chosen as my card, two restarts, etc. I might need to dump the cache, prefs, and restart again, though I have the feeling that the problem is sitting deep in iCloud since changing the card on iCloud.com brought about the quickest changes in its response.

Autofill uses email removed from my contact card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.