Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retina 13 Inch Macbook Pro 2015 Battery Charging Question

I just bought a 2015 13.3" Retina Macbook Pro & I love it!

However, I do have a few questions about it!

1) How would you recommend I charge it? I'm confused about battery cycles & discharges. I heard it's best to not discharge this battery fully and re-charge when it goes down to about 40% and then back to 100% and continue that.
How would you recommend I charge it?

2) Should I put my macbook to sleep or shut down? The only time I don't use it is when it's night time until the morning/afternoon when I sleep & then do some tasks until I have free time to go on it. Is it okay if it's in sleep for 8+ hours? I noticed battery drop by like 1 to 2 % so not that big a deal.

All answers are appreciated, God bless!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 3:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 3:38 PM

I have two 'golden rules' regarding batteries in a MBP.

Avoid discharging them completely.

If you choose to keep it connected to AC, at least monthly, exercise the battery by operating under battery power to about the 40% charge level. Then reconnect to AC.

In regards to sleep vs. shutdown, just select what you find convenient. This is an argument that has not been settled and never will, I suspect. I choose to shut down.

Here is every thing you wanted to know about batteries and were afraid to ask:

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/batteries_power/

Ciao.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2015 3:38 PM in response to jojelllybean

I have two 'golden rules' regarding batteries in a MBP.

Avoid discharging them completely.

If you choose to keep it connected to AC, at least monthly, exercise the battery by operating under battery power to about the 40% charge level. Then reconnect to AC.

In regards to sleep vs. shutdown, just select what you find convenient. This is an argument that has not been settled and never will, I suspect. I choose to shut down.

Here is every thing you wanted to know about batteries and were afraid to ask:

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/batteries_power/

Ciao.

Jul 31, 2015 3:42 PM in response to jojelllybean

There is a very large amount of misinformation available on Lithium-Ion batteries, the basics are:

1. DO NOT discharge the battery fully on a regular basis. Independent studies have shown that doing so shortens battery life a great deal. A battery discharged only 50% and recharged will have three to four times the battery life of one discharged deeply.

2. Leaving a battery on the charger does not damage it - the charging circuitry shuts down when the battery is fully charged, and goes into line-power mode. When the battery trickles down in charge (they all do that) to about 93-95% charge the circuitry restarts and tops up the battery.

3. Sleep mode is the best mode for the system unless you are leaving it for a few days. Sleep mode means it stays at a constant temperature which is easier on the parts than the thermal stress of going cold and then restarting if you are doing that every day.

You can check your battery easily, by going to the apple left side of the menu bar, About This Mac, System Report, Hardware, Power and just see what it says about the battery condition (should be Normal) and number of charge cycles (normal life is 1,000 cycles), and so on.

Anything else, just ask.

Retina 13 Inch Macbook Pro 2015 Battery Charging Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.