Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why has my iPhone 5 started deleting inbox messages after 24 hours? i have deleted the account in both IMAP and POP3 and all my setting say never delete any email. It is not connected to iCloud.

i have deleted the account in both IMAP and POP3 and all my setting say never delete any email. It is not connected to iCloud. This started about 2 weeks ago and when i go and look in any of the trash cans the email is not there. Any thoughts?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 3:52 PM

11 replies

Aug 1, 2015 5:42 AM in response to IBKC

Outlook in my home office is a POP3 connection to our mail server.

It connects to the mail server separately and downloads to desktop. My iPhone connect to the mail server separately also and downloads any messages.

so if I delete or making changes to emails on either device it does not affect the other. i.e delete and email on desktop still remains on iPhone and vice versa.

hope this helps

Aug 1, 2015 6:14 AM in response to IBKC

POP account clients have 2 choices, it is important to know which choice you have taken,

Is the mail retained on the server after it has been retrieved? If no then the explanation may be there, if yes it's not the issue. Both Outlook and Mail on the phone offer the choice.

POP accounts on multiple devices can lead to the behavior you are experiencing.

Aug 1, 2015 6:54 AM in response to Csound1

Csound1 I think with your help I have figured it out.

I went directly to mail server and deleted a specific email that was already downloaded to my iPhone and force deleted it from the mail server and it disappeared from my iPhone. I guess I need to call my mail server and see what can be done about this....

Thanks for all of your help

Why has my iPhone 5 started deleting inbox messages after 24 hours? i have deleted the account in both IMAP and POP3 and all my setting say never delete any email. It is not connected to iCloud.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.