Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1 week old MacBook static noise from both speaker and audio jack

I am at a loss and desperate. Already did a few SMC reset and PRAM reset as well. I just bought my new MacBook 12" a week back and this evening when I plugged in my headphone it was only static noise. later I was making a call and could hear the same static from the built in speakers. And to think I was falling in love with these speakers everyday. I played both audio and video files but the static noise will not go away. I am devastated. I searched everywhere for a solution but this problem is not mentioned anywhere for the new MacBook 12". Any help will be greatly appreciated.

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 12:25 PM

8 replies

Jul 31, 2015 8:01 PM in response to Lexiepex

Thanks. Was up late into the night trying to isolate the problem. Even restored Yosimite, I am afraid it could be one of two issues. Either the audio jack port or circuit on it has fused out or worse then issue lies in the logic board.

To make matters worse we don't have the best service centre and they always had to ship on the part which has taken a long time in the past.

As a last ditch effort will use an air can to clean the headphone jack.

Aug 1, 2015 7:01 AM in response to M4X40

Well the air can did not work and the problem still persists. Will take to the Apple Service Centre tomorrow and see where it goes from there.

I have concluded its a logic board problem at worst or the audio circuit is broken at best.

I thought twice before buying this new MacBook 12" since its the first production model and may have issues, but could not believe Apple hasn't taken care of the audio jack problem still. I feel like a fool spending so much money on this MacBook just to have this annoyance not even a full week into the purchase. I did not buy it so that it spends more time at the service centre than on my work table.

Aug 17, 2015 7:42 AM in response to M4X40

Went to the Apple Service Shop where they have a look and said a new logic board will have to be flown in which will take a week and they will call me.

Its been now a little over a week and I will give them a few days before I follow-up.

They also told me this is the first time they are seeing the new MacBook 12" Retina so I am worried if they can service without damaging the new battery system.

Anyway i am stuck with no choice cursing the MacBook every minute of the day.

Sep 19, 2015 2:14 AM in response to Lanny

OK. Just got back from Apple Service Centre and knock on wood the issue seems to be resolved. They made me sign a bill which said something about an audio board and speakers being replace. Of course I did not have to pay anything as the machine was under apple 1 year warranty. Something tells me to buy Apple Care as I am very doubtful with this machine.

Also since I got it back I have noticed the battery health decreasing from 98% - 94% over 2 weeks or so. The tech did say he had a tough time servicing this new macbook as it was the first for him. 🙂

Today something else happened where the mouse cursor would jump all over and I had to restart the laptop twice. I am thinking of selling this macbook and getting one of the regular 15" ones.

Cheers.

Sep 19, 2015 2:26 AM in response to M4X40

OK, thanks for the information about your initial issues: logic board and speakers replaced...

About the battery health: where did you read the 98% to 94%? SystemInformation (in Utilities) ->Power displays only cycle count and health (normal, service battery).

Mouse jumping on its own: in old macs one of the possible causes is a swelling (dying) battery, in your case it is more plausible that there is an issue with the force trackpad. An SMC reset may help here, if it is not hardware.

1 week old MacBook static noise from both speaker and audio jack

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.