Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule 802.11n trying to delete contents from time machine.

Time Capsule 802.11n. Started having "Unexpected Error" issues. Been replaced. Need to delete contents added via time machine so can recycle it. Tried all reset options including Factory reset always get "Unexpected Error". Suggestions?

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 1:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 2:35 PM

If the older Time Capsule is not beyond hope, we may be able to come up with a special workaround that will allow direct access to the Time Capsule, so that you can erase the contents of the drive.....but.....no guarantees if you decide that you want to try this.

Will you be using the Mac Mini for this?

Is it still running Mavericks (10.9.5)?

Do you have a short spare Ethernet cable?....any length will do

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2015 2:35 PM in response to richadj

If the older Time Capsule is not beyond hope, we may be able to come up with a special workaround that will allow direct access to the Time Capsule, so that you can erase the contents of the drive.....but.....no guarantees if you decide that you want to try this.

Will you be using the Mac Mini for this?

Is it still running Mavericks (10.9.5)?

Do you have a short spare Ethernet cable?....any length will do

Jul 31, 2015 6:45 PM in response to richadj

The old Time Capsule needs to be accessed in total isolation. That would mean that you need to temporarily power off any other AirPort Time Capsules or other Apple router(s) that you have, so you may want to try this late at night or another time when folks won't complain that the Internet is down.

Connect an Ethernet cable from the Mac Mini to one of the three LAN <--> ports on the Time Capsule.

Open up AirPort Utility on your Mac Mini

Click the File menu in the upper left hand corner of the screen and select Configure Other.

For Address, Enter

Leave the Password area blank for now

Click OK

If things work......you will see a summary page of settings with tabs for Summary, Base Station, Internet, Wireless, Network, Disks

if you are asked for a password above.....Enter

public

If you cannot access the settings with the steps above, then I know of no other way to get into the old Time Capsule.

Please report on your results so far, and we'll continue with the procedure to erase the disk and review some options if the Summary page appears.

Aug 1, 2015 2:20 PM in response to Bob Timmons

After entering the address I get the message "An error occurred while reading configuration". From what you said above, it appears I am at the end of the line. I guess I just store it a secure area subject to high temperatures for a decade and assume that temperature and time will render the contents useless. :=) Thanks for the help.

Aug 1, 2015 3:06 PM in response to richadj

Please check one more thing on your Mac and then try the whole isolated setup again when you can.

Open System Preferences (gear icon on the dock)

Open Network

Click on WiFi on the left side panel to highlight it

Click Advanced at the lower right of the window

Click the TCP/IP tab

Make sure that the setting for Configure IPv6 is set to Link Local Only

Click OK

Click Apply in the next window

Then repeat the same sequence as above, except start by clicking on Ethernet to highlight it

Once done, restart the Mac again and give it a try

Aug 1, 2015 7:58 PM in response to richadj

Most users who set the IPv6 settings to Link Local Only leave them that way, since this setting often solves a common bug in Mavericks and Yosemite with "lost" AirPorts that will not appear in AirPort Utility.

It wouldn't hurt to try moving the settings back to Automatic, but I would be surprised if that helped in this case.

At this point, it is looking like the firmware on the older Time Capsule has somehow become corrupted, and I'm not aware of anything that can fix that.

Just as a double check, if you have another Mac that you could use, that is worth a try. If the same error appears, then I'm afraid that I'm out of ideas at this point.

Time Capsule 802.11n trying to delete contents from time machine.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.