Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I put a timer on my Wi-Fi using Airport Utility?

I assume there is a way to set Airport to shut off at a certain time. I have a teenager that stays up too late online and I want to shut off the internet around 2AM. Is there an easy way to do that within the settings of Airport?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 2:19 PM

There is not a way to actually shut off the AirPort at a certain time.....unless you add an outboard electronic timer to the AirPort router......but there is a way to define the timeframe each day that a given device will be able to connect to the wireless network.

So, "rules" for Junior's iPad might be to allow access to the wireless network each day from 8:00 AM to 2:00AM

To do that, you actually need to build two "rules".....

One rule to allow access Everyday Between 8:00 AM and 11:59 PM

A second rule to allow access Everyday Between 12:00 AM and 2:00 AM

User uploaded file

The crossover from one day to the next is a bit tricky since you cannot set a rule to extend past midnight. You might think that there would be a one minute break between 11:59 PM and 12:00 AM, but the 11:59 PM setting is actually 11:59:59 turning off at midnight. At the same time, the second rule kicks in at midnight and allows access to 2:00 AM.

How 'easy" this might be is open to question. It's easy if you know how or spend some time with the Timed Access settings in AirPort Utility. It's not easy if you are looking to make a few mouse clicks and have everything just happen.

You will also need the MAC Address or WiFi Address of the teenager's device. That is easy to find on a Mac or an iPhone or iPad. Might be more difficult with a 3rd party device.

You can also establish similar "defaults" for the entire network to affect all users......but most parents just want to be able to limit access of their kids' devices, while the parents can connect anytime that they want.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2015 2:19 PM in response to jakemarston

There is not a way to actually shut off the AirPort at a certain time.....unless you add an outboard electronic timer to the AirPort router......but there is a way to define the timeframe each day that a given device will be able to connect to the wireless network.

So, "rules" for Junior's iPad might be to allow access to the wireless network each day from 8:00 AM to 2:00AM

To do that, you actually need to build two "rules".....

One rule to allow access Everyday Between 8:00 AM and 11:59 PM

A second rule to allow access Everyday Between 12:00 AM and 2:00 AM

User uploaded file

The crossover from one day to the next is a bit tricky since you cannot set a rule to extend past midnight. You might think that there would be a one minute break between 11:59 PM and 12:00 AM, but the 11:59 PM setting is actually 11:59:59 turning off at midnight. At the same time, the second rule kicks in at midnight and allows access to 2:00 AM.

How 'easy" this might be is open to question. It's easy if you know how or spend some time with the Timed Access settings in AirPort Utility. It's not easy if you are looking to make a few mouse clicks and have everything just happen.

You will also need the MAC Address or WiFi Address of the teenager's device. That is easy to find on a Mac or an iPhone or iPad. Might be more difficult with a 3rd party device.

You can also establish similar "defaults" for the entire network to affect all users......but most parents just want to be able to limit access of their kids' devices, while the parents can connect anytime that they want.

How do I put a timer on my Wi-Fi using Airport Utility?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.