Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad mini 1st gen is so slow on ios8.4, I have tried a bunch of tips like reducing motion and increasing contrast but it's still slow, please any tips or advice. I don't want to give up on my iPad.

SO basically it's slow and laggy even when I close my apps and reduce the animations, even safari takes forever to load webpages please I do t want to give up on my iPad. Will ios9 be any better, i heard ios9 is focusing on stabilty on iDevices, how will it perform on my A5 iPad mini?

iPad Mini, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 4:53 PM

2 replies

Jul 31, 2015 5:08 PM in response to Edy 123

A first generation iPad cannot update past iOS 5.1.1.

Tap Settings > General > About then scroll to Version.

Since your iPad is running slow, there may not be enough available storage space.

Tap Settings > General > About. You'll see: Available.

If it's less than 1GB, it's time to free up storage space by deleting apps, photos, videos, etc. Restart your iPad after deleting data then see if it runs faster. If not, restore your iPad to factory settings > Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Just so you are aware, no discussion of beta software meaning iOS 9 is allowed in Apple Support Communities.

Jul 31, 2015 5:33 PM in response to Edy 123

Clear Safari, close all apps on the iPad, force restart and see how it goes.

Go to Settings>Safari>Clear History and Website Data

Now close all apps. Press the Home button two times quickly. You'll see small previews of your recently used apps. Swipe left to find the app you want to close. Swipe up on the app's preview to close it.

Close the app. Press the Home button two times quickly. You'll see small previews of your recently used apps. Swipe left to find the app you want to close. Swipe up on the app's preview to close it.

To force restart the device, press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

If those three things made no difference, try this. Reset all settings. You will not lose any data, but most of the device settings will have to be entered in the settings app again. Settings>General>Reset>Reset all Settings.

If all of that fails, restore the iOS software. Backup your iPad before you restore, then restore the backup when you are done. If that still doesn't help, restore your iPad as new and start all over again. Most purchased content can be downloaded again at no charge as long as you use the same Apple ID and as long as the content is still available in the store.

Restore iPad to Factory Settings

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414

My iPad mini 1st gen is so slow on ios8.4, I have tried a bunch of tips like reducing motion and increasing contrast but it's still slow, please any tips or advice. I don't want to give up on my iPad.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.