Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro has flashing question mark folder? (yes i used the search tool)

My Mac Pro has the flashing question mark folder at startup.

I have done the command+R

I have done the option+command+R

Still am having no luck. Are there other options? If not what do I need to do now to get this to work? Can I download a install disk on my laptop to a DVD then put in the Mac Pro?

Thanks in advance.

<Edited By Host>

PowerMac, null

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 4:30 PM

14 replies

Jul 31, 2015 8:37 PM in response to Allan Jones

I have already tried everything on that page that you hyperlinked.

I am unsure what was the latest OX installed. I haven't turned the computer on in 9 months due to being away. I started it up and it worked, once I went to click on the App Store the computer froze. I shut it off and that is when I started to get the flashing folder.

I have 3 1TB harddrives installed in the computer. Should I swap them around in the 4 slots and trying restarting it?

Thanks.

Aug 1, 2015 11:39 AM in response to hofferm83

Append the last three characters of its serial number to http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords= and load the page.

You need either the computer’s original disks or a retail Mac OS X DVD that is within the range of the minimum and maximum OS versions for that Mac model, usually excluding the versions at the edges of the range.

For Mac OS X 10.5 or earlier DVDs, check sources such as Amazon or eBay. Mac OS X 10.6.3 ones can be bought from the online Apple Store.

No PowerPC Mac will have the Mac App Store.

(131085)

Aug 1, 2015 11:49 AM in response to hofferm83

It depends on what Mac you have; the minimum OS for that model must be no higher than 10.6.2, and the maximum OS must be higher than 10.5.8.

The Mac App Store will only be present if the computer was running at least 10.6.6. This doesn’t itself affect which install DVDs you can use, but does mean that if you had it before, your computer isn’t a Power Mac.

(131087)

Mac Pro has flashing question mark folder? (yes i used the search tool)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.