Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

YouTube HTML5 Safari

Hey All!

Can someone give me the lowdown on Youtube supposed HTML5 function? Ive read that they have switched over but whenever I go to YouTube on my mac (Yosemite) I get the error saying I need flash (see attached).

Thanks for any help!

~G

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 1:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 4:12 PM

Safari definitely supports HTML 5 on YouTube without Flash.

You may have a Safari incompatible extension or plug-in that's prompting the, "This video is unavailable" ..

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Turn that OFF, quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that helped, turn one extension on then quit and relaunch Safari to test until you find the incompatible extension then click uninstall.

If it's not an extensions issue, try troubleshooting third party plug-ins.

Back to Safari > Preferences. This time select the Security tab. Deselect: Allow plug-ins. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that made a difference, instructions for troubleshooting plugins here.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2015 4:12 PM in response to George Cassello

Safari definitely supports HTML 5 on YouTube without Flash.

You may have a Safari incompatible extension or plug-in that's prompting the, "This video is unavailable" ..

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Turn that OFF, quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that helped, turn one extension on then quit and relaunch Safari to test until you find the incompatible extension then click uninstall.

If it's not an extensions issue, try troubleshooting third party plug-ins.

Back to Safari > Preferences. This time select the Security tab. Deselect: Allow plug-ins. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that made a difference, instructions for troubleshooting plugins here.

YouTube HTML5 Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.