Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any reason I should not upgrade to iOS 8.4?

Is there any reason I should not upgrade to iOS 8.4 on my iPad 4 or 3? I have less than 1 Gig of overhead RAM left, mostly due to the number of Apps I have so I can remove some Apps if I need to.

Apple support says it's an iPad 4 (by virtue of its model and/or serial number), but some software (Apps) says it's an iPad 3.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 4G RAM, 500G HD, iPad4

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 4:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 4:28 PM

Memory requirement for the upgrade to iOS 8.4 depends on what iOS version you are running now. For example, going to 8.4 from 8.3 requires only 173MB additional memory. Updating from 7.x to 8.4 requires 5 GB unless Apple changed the need to store iOS 7 while iOS 8 is stalled. iPad 3 or 4 doesn't really matter to the update. iPads 2 and better can update to iOS 8.4. iOS 9 is in beta until late September presumably and like most betas, has a few bugs you might not want to deal with.

PS, RAM is not the memory you can free up by deleting apps and pics and music. That memory you can free up is flash memory. Flash acts as the iPad's hard drive if you will. RAM is where the open apps operate and run more or less and you have 1G of RAM (3 or 4 have the same). iPad 2 has 512MB and Air 2 has 2GB to give you some perspective.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2015 4:28 PM in response to niteowl

Memory requirement for the upgrade to iOS 8.4 depends on what iOS version you are running now. For example, going to 8.4 from 8.3 requires only 173MB additional memory. Updating from 7.x to 8.4 requires 5 GB unless Apple changed the need to store iOS 7 while iOS 8 is stalled. iPad 3 or 4 doesn't really matter to the update. iPads 2 and better can update to iOS 8.4. iOS 9 is in beta until late September presumably and like most betas, has a few bugs you might not want to deal with.

PS, RAM is not the memory you can free up by deleting apps and pics and music. That memory you can free up is flash memory. Flash acts as the iPad's hard drive if you will. RAM is where the open apps operate and run more or less and you have 1G of RAM (3 or 4 have the same). iPad 2 has 512MB and Air 2 has 2GB to give you some perspective.

Jul 31, 2015 5:05 PM in response to niteowl

The easiest way to tell if you have a iPad 3 or 4 is what type of cable does it use. If it iuses the old wide 30 pin connector you have a iPad 3. If it is the newer Lightning connector you have a iPad 4.

I have a iPad 4 and have no troubles with IOS 8.4. I think it's the best IOS 8 to date. Besides if you upgrade you still have time to enjoy the free sample of Apple Music.

Always besure you have a iCloud or iTunes backup before updating.

Below is the the difference in connectors.

User uploaded file

Jul 31, 2015 7:34 PM in response to bobseufert

This is an excellent one I use on my iPad Air 2:

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/mactracker/id311421597?mt=8

Lists full specifications of every Apple device ever made.

If you want real-time recognition of the device and specs, do a iTunes App Store search for 'Device Info' or other similar term, and you'll get dozens of hits.

However, I can't validate that any info returned will be accurate.

Is there any reason I should not upgrade to iOS 8.4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.