Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does arpeture use so much memory.

On a recent trip I uploaded less than 16 GB of photos but they used up more than 30 GB that was available on my laptop. I had to delete some photos and music to give me enough room.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.4.4)

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 4:16 PM

1 reply

Aug 1, 2015 12:41 AM in response to woodcom

An Aperture library needs more storage than the storage used for the original image files you imported. Aperture creates additional thumbnails for faster browsing and additional previews for sharing the images with the media browser. But together these additional files should not add up to twice the size of your original import, the size of the library should perhaps increase by 25%. How much additional storage is required will depend on the size of the original files.

Have you edited your photos in an external editor? External edits can blow up the library size considerably, if you save the edits back as TIFF files or PSD files with layers.

Why does arpeture use so much memory.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.