Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing The iCloud set email

Hello Apple Community

Im new here so don't judge me for what I might say.

So, for a while I wanted to change my iCloud Email address from ****@icloud.com to *****@icloud.com.

Yes the change is simple, but I wanted it changed, and heres my reason...

The **** number, wasn't set by myself, but a friend who decided to mess around with me while I was making the account. ***** have always been my numbers, I was born with them.

I need them changed, but when I contacted apple support to see if I could change them, there person who I was speaking to said "They can't be changed, they are engraved into stone. once it was set, it can't be changed".

I have 2 options..

1. make a new apple ID and move all my linked devices, keychain passwords, etc to the new ID, but loss all of my App's saved data. Or

2. Wait and see if apple one day allows the change of iCloud email address.

I don't want to go with option 1 because the username I have chosen is the on I will always use. If there is a way to Delete to Apple ID, I would do it, but there isn't.

Suggestions about what i should do next?

Nick

(I would also like to add, I myself am not the only person that wants to change there iCloud email address.)

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

null-OTHER, null

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 1:44 PM

9 replies

Jul 31, 2015 2:03 PM in response to Techmaster75724

It's a really bad idea to post your email addresses - it's an invitation to spam - and I've asked the Hosts to remove them.

Once you have created an iCloud account and chosen an @icloud.com address to go with it you can't change the address (short of creating an entirely new account).

However, all is not lost. You can add up to three 'email aliases' - these are additional addresses (not accounts) which deliver into the same inbox as the main account. (In fact it's a good idea to give out alias addresses, rather than the main address, because if they attract spam you can easily change them.)

You should be aware before you start that once you've created an alias you cannot turn that address into a full iCloud account or move it to another account.

More information on aliases here: http://help.apple.com/icloud/#mm6b1a490a

Jul 31, 2015 2:08 PM in response to Techmaster75724

None us know what Apple is planning so can't say for sure they won't allow a new email for an Apple ID one day, but knowing how databases work, I think the odds are against such a change.

you will have to decide if the current ID bothers you enough that you will give up the purchases and app data associated with the ID. There may be work a rounds for some app data. But purchases of media and apps would be a loss unless you are prepared to sign in and out and between the two IDs for the rest of your life according to today's Apple ID rules.

Jul 31, 2015 2:10 PM in response to Techmaster75724

When you've made a post you can edit it (you can't delete it, but you can just delete the contents) for 15 minutes. After that you can't alter it; when there is a security problem or other good reason a senior poster will usually notice it and ask the Hosts to remove it. You should never post personal information such as email addresses or phone numbers in an open forum.

Jul 31, 2015 2:52 PM in response to Techmaster75724

You can delete emails either in your Mail application or at http://www.icloud.com where you can also delete calendars and contacts. Credit card info must be deleted in the iTunes Store Account ('Payment information' - change to 'none'.) Any apps you purchased cannot be updated from a different account, you would need to purchase them again.

Purchased songs and movies cannot be moved between accounts, and you can't keep switching from one account to another in iTunes - there is a 90 day waiting period.

If all you want is a different email address the 'email alias' is the best solution - it works perfectly well, and though you will continue to use the old address as a login no-one else sees that.

Changing The iCloud set email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.