Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac won't start

Before I start, the issue resolved itself somehow after several attempts but I wanted to know how.

As I entered a game in League of legends approx 4-5 min in game with youtube music playing in the background my late 2011 macbook pro suddenly showed a striped screen and did not pick up any of my inputs (i.e. Command tab, Command q etc.) So I was forced to shut down my mac and turn it on normal mode finding a pixelated white screen, normal chime with the apple logo and loading bar. after the astonishing 15-20min wait it comes up on a plain white screen. I repeated the same process even with safe mode on and it just wouldn't let me go on to the login screen. So I gave up went for about 10min leaving my mac on the plain white screen it stays on. Coming back, i find my computer shutdown for some strange odd reason so I turned it back on in safe mode just in case. A normal startup apple logo came up for quite some time and then when straight to my login screen. working perfectly. I restarted it and started using it as per normal running some disk repairs.

Does anyone know what could've caused this stressful issue, and why it happens? Should go I keep playing this league of legends game for my mac's safety?

Macbook pro 15inich late 2011

2.2 Ghz Intel core i7

4GB Ram

Intel HD graphics 3000

hard drive is not even half full

Thanks much appreciated for an answer.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 4:25 PM

6 replies

Jul 31, 2015 7:27 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

If that is true, then how have I been able to play up until this point? (started since late last year november). The issue had happened to me the second time once again in the same game, and again i somehow managed to start it back up again quicker than last time. Is there any alternatives to playing it or will I just have to stop due to may graphic card overload.

Thanks for your time much appreciated.

Jul 31, 2015 7:39 PM in response to Invulnerable

Your MacBook Pro has the familiar graphic problem, not always in the graphics chip. Your symptoms are a sign of damage to components of the graphic circuit feeding your Mac.
Remember that this model has two graphics cards. The intel is the smallest, 500 mb, but there is another Ati Radeon 1.5 gb. It is very likely that your Mac has trouble changing / select between two graphics cards.
I have repaired more than 300 graphic card macbook pro 15 "and 17", 2010, 2011and 2012. Your Mac is hopeless, but you should find a very good technician, specializing in this type of breakdown, and not accept less than a one year warranty.

Good Luck!,

Jul 31, 2015 8:14 PM in response to Invulnerable

This is a very difficult repair. Furthermore almost all technical believe the problem is the graphics chip, and it is not. His case as I say, have symptoms of electrical problems with any component of the graphics card.
I could repair his badge in my SAT in Spain, but I am convinced that the US will find some quality service. Do not rely on low prices, and see several sites before deciding. To return the plate for reparacióin we could manage it, but I think it will be cheaper for you to find someone you trust near your home.

Aug 8, 2015 1:06 AM in response to applemaniaco

After some research I found a apple repair extension program on my Macbook model late 2011 15" on Video issues. Refer to link. Could this be the cause of my situation? Symptoms seems to be recognisable everytime it basically crashes. My computer has restarted randomly when trying to run 'Minecraft' for a test.

Thanks for your time again Much appreciated

Link on Macbook Pro Repair extension program for video issues : https://www.apple.com/au/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Thanks again.

Mac won't start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.