Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't install iTunes on "upgraded" Windows 10 pc

I just installed Windows 10 by the "upgrade" option from Windows 8.1. I am running 64-bit version of Windows 10 Home. I cannot get iTunes to install on my pc. I get the following error messages:

User uploaded file

I clicked on Ignore to see if it would finish installing and let me run iTunes. When I tried running it I got these error messages:

User uploaded file

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 2:52 PM

5 replies

Aug 1, 2015 11:14 AM in response to Shiroika

See turingtest2's user tip on Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates. Some users have reported that they've successfully got the full 64-bit version running on Windows 10 by:

• removing all components of previous iTunes installations, following the procedure given in the reference above
  • installing the "for older video cards" version of iTunes 12.2.1 (link to installer in tt2's user tip)
  • installing the full 64-bit version

Aug 1, 2015 3:43 PM in response to AllenW168

Ran into a similar issue after completing a clean install of Windows 10 on my laptop.

Using the troubleshooting link provided by hhgttg27 as reference, I uninstalled all Apple software components I had tried to install, restarted my computer, and then used the "for older video cards" version of iTunes 12 for install (link provided in troubleshooting post). No issues with the install, just then had to update to 12.2.1. Worked like a charm.

Thanks hhgttg27!

Aug 1, 2015 3:49 PM in response to p5power

You're welcome. This aspect of the "for older video cards" version is unexpected - it seems that it may do a better job of cleaning up traces of previous installations than the full 64-bit one does. Maybe this will assist Apple in diagnosing the installation and compatibility issues that continue to affect the 64-bit version, even though these are considerably fewer with 12.2 than they were with 12.1.

Jun 3, 2016 11:16 AM in response to AllenW168

I'm adding a response here to help folks who may have run into the problem I was having. I upgraded my Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro and for the longest time after the update I kept running into installation/upgrade issues with various applications including iTunes, Skype, etc... The event log would show that the installer errors out for various but one of the common errors would be 1603 or 1602 etc... I was just living with an older version of iTunes. The problem seemed like some sort of permissions issue but I don't fully understand Window's permissions on the various folders.

So searching around I ran into this tool from the www.tweaking.com to repair a windows installation and so I downloaded their free version and ran it and to my surprise it fixed the problems. The program runs a bunch of different Microsoft tools to fix-up your Windows installation and some of these tools take a while to complete. I think on my system, the tweaking program ran for 2+ hrs in safe mode. But one of the areas it "fixes" is to set all the default permissions to the various folders (Program Files, Windows, etc...). I don't know why my system was messed up and can only assume it was the "windows 10 update" that didn't handle things well but the tweaking tool fixed it for me and now I'm able to install all of the problem programs.

The tool is also real good at telling the user (and providing an interface) to 1) backup their registry, and 2) create a save point in case things go badly.

"Tweaking.com - Windows Repair" at www.tweaking.com

p.s. I'm not affiliated with the tweaking folks and I'll point out that the free version of their tool fixed my problem.

Can't install iTunes on "upgraded" Windows 10 pc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.