Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.4 download taking forever--any solutions?

Hi, all!

Touching base to see whether there were any solutions to a L-O-N-G and I mean, L-O-N-G, download time for iOS 8.4.

It says it's only 183 mb, but I've tried a couple of times, given it a half hour, given it an hour, and still no dice. There is no progress bar (is that something new with the latest version of iTunes?), just a statement in the summary window that says it's updating.

Oddly, I was able to update scores of apps, whose combined size was well in excess of the updater, and that flew by in no time.

Any help would be appreciated!

-------------------------

P.S. I also got an odd message from the website here: "You are not allowed to create or update this content"

What's that about? I have created it (it's right in front of me) and I am logged in and always allowed to update my own posts! Weird, eh?!

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1.2, Keeps on running...

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 3:09 PM

3 replies

Jul 31, 2015 3:42 PM in response to AstroMacMan

A few suggestions:

If you ever tried one of Apple's public betas, you will be stuck on a Profile, that you will need to remove first before you can apply non-beta updates to the iOS. Head to Settings, General, and then scroll to the bottom - in the block with iTunes Wi-Fi Sync and VPN, there will be a third option called Profile, and it will have an entry, such as 'iOS 8.4 Beta Software Profile >'. Click on this and remove the profile. The iPad will restart, and you'll be able to re-download updates once more w/o the progress bar never actually moving.

Have you tried downloading the update from another internet location (public WiFi, friend's house, etc)?

Aug 6, 2015 2:25 PM in response to Neil Yates

Appreciate the help!

Nope, never touched a beta. (Or, an alpha, either! 🙂 )

I tried it again.. (has there been a new version of iTunes released recently?) It was supposed to download it. Don't think it did.

Gave up and did an over the air download directly to the iPad. Worked like a charm!

Case is closed, though the mystery has not been solved!

iOS 8.4 download taking forever--any solutions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.