Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to understand difference between iPhoto and Photos

Forgot which version brought Photos to my Mac but now I have two apps and not sure I completely understand the difference. If Photos is the new app, why didn't it replace iPhoto. I recall being asked if I wanted to migrate my photos to the new app which I did. But was surprised to see the iPhoto app still on my MBP. Space is getting a bit tight and I have been looking for things to delete or move to an external drive. So, my question to the forum is:

Do I really need to keep iPhoto and if so, why?

Thanks all,

Jim H

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 2:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 2:54 PM

Photos is new and came with 10.10.4. iPhoto is the old one. You now have both, and you can use either one. You also now have to photo libraries: iPhoto Library and Photos Library. They are both in your /Home/Pictures/ folder. You need not delete the older application or its library file.

Photos vs iPhoto- Features and Capabilities | Apple Support Communities

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2015 2:54 PM in response to d18ge

Photos is new and came with 10.10.4. iPhoto is the old one. You now have both, and you can use either one. You also now have to photo libraries: iPhoto Library and Photos Library. They are both in your /Home/Pictures/ folder. You need not delete the older application or its library file.

Photos vs iPhoto- Features and Capabilities | Apple Support Communities

Jul 31, 2015 4:00 PM in response to d18ge

Two different applications - both work and you can use either (or both I guess) - deleting iphoto will not save much space at all nor will deleting its library - Photos saves disk space by sharing images with your iPhoto or Aperture libraries - Apple Support - you can but generally it is not a good idea for a while to be sure you do not want or need it

LN

Trying to understand difference between iPhoto and Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.