Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

restoring ipod which has an unknown passcode, but its taking longer than the allocated time of 15minutes. Any advice?

I bought a second hand ipod touch, but it has a passcode set on it. I have followed the apple instructions for restoring the ipod, but the ipod keeps exiting recovery mode after 15mins, and the windows 7 laptop is taking longer than the 15 mins to download the latest software. Any advice?

Thanks,

Jen

iPod touch

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 3:10 PM

1 reply

Jul 31, 2015 3:16 PM in response to davesv650

Follow the instructions in the following to first download the firmware and then place the iPod in Recovery mode and restore via iTunes. Make sure you download the current iOS version for your iPod. For a 5G it is 8.4, fort 4G it is 6,1,6, 3G 5.1.1, 2G 4,2,1 and make sure you download the firmware for you devices since iPhone firmware will not install on a iPod

How to Install iOS 8.1.3 Update on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch

Use the Step 5 update using iTunes instructions but download the firmware for your device. Note that if you try to restore to an earlier iOS version you will only get errors.

Identifying iPod models

If it is a 5G iPod with iOS 7 or later yo will have to enter the ID and PW last used for Settings>iCloud.

Find My iPhone Activation Lock

Apple will not help getting the ID and PW.

restoring ipod which has an unknown passcode, but its taking longer than the allocated time of 15minutes. Any advice?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.