Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flash Out of Date even after downloading / installing!

I have the latest version of Safari -- I have the latest version of Flash (downloaded from Adobe, not any third party sites). If I go to YouTube, I get the warning "Flash out of date". I download it, install it, and relaunch Safari and get "Flash out of date".

I know this is not the first time this has been posted, but I haven't found any solutions to this yet, and they are with previous OS versions, so I'm posting again. I should also mention that I am using Mountain Lion, 10.8.5; I have virus-scanned, checked for malware, restarted, relaunched, reinstalled ad nauseum, and nothing fixes this. I'm getting so tired of this. It's working fine under Chrome browser. But sometimes I want to use Safari, and NOTHING seems to be fixing this. All software updates have been installed (with the exception of Remote Desktop Access, which I do not use and which update broke my iMac).

Any ideas?

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 4:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 4:57 PM

Having Flash installed puts your Mac at risk!

Video content will work using HTML 5 in Safari automatically. Not need to install anything.

Uninstall Flash > Uninstall Flash Player | Mac OS

Read > Gone in a flash? Facebook says Adobe's plug-in is a security risk no longer worth taking

Not just for Facebook. Any Flash content on any website.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2015 4:57 PM in response to KarenHermann

Having Flash installed puts your Mac at risk!

Video content will work using HTML 5 in Safari automatically. Not need to install anything.

Uninstall Flash > Uninstall Flash Player | Mac OS

Read > Gone in a flash? Facebook says Adobe's plug-in is a security risk no longer worth taking

Not just for Facebook. Any Flash content on any website.

Jul 31, 2015 5:04 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Of significance is this paragraph in your linked document that negates some of what you have stated:

But while it's fading, Flash is far from forgotten. Flash is still used on 23 percent of the 483,000 Web pages tracked by the HTTP Archive, a resource for Web developers. Even though that usage has dropped from 39 percent three years ago, removing Flash from browsers would break much of today's Web. That's why browser makers such as Google and Microsoft have granted Flash special status even as they try to wean the Web from it and other browser plugins.

It's far from fact that Flash is no longer needed and that all video content works with HTML 5.

Flash Out of Date even after downloading / installing!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.