Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The oddest problem

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes.

I have a wired network where I work. Last week I had my ISP check my internet speeds. They changed to a new modem that has a router built into it. Without getting into a long story the new modem and a different IP address than the old one. Apparently this caused all kinds of havoc and not only could my computers not log into the web I could no longer log into my file server. After another tech came by a few days later he determine that since the new modem had a different IP address it could not communicate with any of my devices. He then changed the address to what the old modem had and bingo my file server came back online. All is good right? The speed tests seemed much better. The next day I found web pages loading slow or not at all. Then all of a sudden they'd load. Another call for a tech and the third different one came by. He saw the erratic behavior of the connection too. He changed out the line and a splitter outside and thought all was good. But Noooooooo. Web pages would not load or would load then hang up when trying another page.

The odd thing is I logged in to a music stream and it never shut off even though I could not access the web. Of course it would access pages once in a while. I checked the network diagnostics on my Macs and they would say the connection was good. When I noticed I could not access a web page I would check diagnostics again and it would tell me to restart the device meaning the modem I assume. The lights on the modem were all good like it was working properly. The techs tried to blame my network switch saying it may have a bad connection. I found that improbable but thought I'd do a simple test. I unplugged the ethernet from my computer and activated Airport. It showed a good strong signal coming from the wi-fi on the new modem. I could access a web page then it would shut down just like before when it was still wired into my network. So this eliminated any of my equipment from the equation.

There are several things I don't understand. First, why would the connection be on then off and seem to get worse over time. Second, if music keeps streaming the whole time but I can't access a web page what does that mean. Third, what the **** do I do now? I'm no expert but I never had an issue before until the new modem was installed. To me this has to be the cause but doesn't make sense since the modem appears to be working properly and the techs felt everything was set up as it should be. Anyone have a clue as to what I might be missing?

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 6:12 PM

4 replies

Jul 31, 2015 7:05 PM in response to Blazey2

This is definitely a network problem. I doubt that it has anything at all to do with your Mac. Streaming audio isn't really a good test because of the way it's buffered locally. It will be able to tolerate lots of latency and dropouts, so long as the total average bandwidth is enough to support the stream.

What kind of service do you have? Cable? DSL? AT&T Uverse? Who is your ISP? If it was working before they brought out the new modem (presumably required to support the higher speeds), then the equipment they installed is almost certainly to blame. Make them replace it.

There are far too many things that could be causing this, and your mac isn't one of the likely candidates. Troubleshooting your ISP's problems is really beyond the scope of these forums.

Jul 31, 2015 7:50 PM in response to KiltedTim

It is a DSL connection through Frontier Communications. There was no increase in speed with the new modem but since I noticed a slow down in what speed I was paying for they replaced the old modem. The first tech said it was a good modem in the past but the new one he installed worked much better. They have been out three times to trouble shoot the problem and replaced about everything but the modem.

I agree that I don't think it is my Macs or my network but I'm grasping at straws. This is affecting my business and I am considering changing to a different provider if this doesn't resolve itself soon. Thanks for the reply.

The oddest problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.