Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

inbox vs. all mail folder gmail selects for my incoming email

I use Mountain Lion 10.8.5 which uses Apple Mail version 6.6 on my 2011 MBPro. Incoming Gmail used to land in the 'inbox' (good) and now lands in 'all mail' folder (BAD). How do I make all new gmail land in my inbox? On the Google site-Mail app, I do not have any filters set for my gmail inbox...

User uploaded file

Also, I do not have forwarding instructions set. I use IMAP, not POP.

Huge 'thanks" to anyone who can tell me how to resolve this annoyance of having to look at my "all mail" folder instead of "inbox" for new mail.

winston611

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 5:47 PM

3 replies

Aug 1, 2015 8:17 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for replying. Questions:

1. I understand that Google's "all mail" label is my historical archive of every email I've ever received in my gmail acct. What happens to all of those emails if I disable "all mail"? will they be deleted from the google server so I lose them forever?

2. Google forum threads suggest that this problem is at Apple's end, not Googles, since Google would put mail in my apple inbox and not do anything further with it…that Apple Mail settings take over once mail has arrived. Is that your understanding?

3. If #2 is accurate, how should I set up Apple Mail settings to make sure incoming mail from any email provider (Yahoo, Google, etc) remains in my apple mail inbox until I move it out (deleting, etc.)?

4. I have an iPhone 6 which has only a handful of Apple Mail settings that I can manipulate. Is there something about receiving Gmail both on the 6 and my MBP (10.8.5 OS) that is causing this problem since the operating systems of the two devices are not "in sync" - i.e one older and one new?

Thanks so much for your interest in this issue. Pain in the neck to dig down into Googles labeling system to get my mail on my MacBP. It arrives in my inbox on my phone which is easy and perfect.

Jane

inbox vs. all mail folder gmail selects for my incoming email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.