Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can pulse rate measurement frequency be controlled?

My Apple Watch, when I'm exercising, seems to take a TON of pulse measurements. Sometimes as many as 10-20 per MINUTE, it seems. So a lot of data gets pushed into my Health App, but it seems to me if I select the interval, I'd set it something much less frequent, like no more than once per minute, or longer, depending upon the nature of the exercise. Anyone have any clues?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 3:50 PM

10 replies

Jul 31, 2015 6:33 PM in response to John Reed6

John Reed6 wrote:

My Apple Watch, when I'm exercising, seems to take a TON of pulse measurements. Sometimes as many as 10-20 per MINUTE, it seems. So a lot of data gets pushed into my Health App, but it seems to me if I select the interval, I'd set it something much less frequent, like no more than once per minute, or longer, depending upon the nature of the exercise. Anyone have any clues?

I'm just curious, not trying to be snarky. Why is this a problem?

Aug 1, 2015 3:00 AM in response to John Reed6

Hi John

Heart rate is intentionally measured continuously during workouts (when using the Workout app).

This and other data also enables Apple Watch to estimate how many calories have been burned. So reducing the measurement frequency (which is not currently possible) would reduce the accuracy of these estimates.

The best way to maximise battery life during workouts is to ensure a good fit of your Apple Watch, as it will compensate for low signal levels by increasing both LED brightness and sampling rate. Apple suggests that you consider tightening your watch for workouts, loosening it afterwards (back to a fit that is neither too tight nor too loose and leaves room for your skin to breathe).

More information here:

Your heart rate. What it means, and where on Apple Watch you’ll find it. - Apple Support

Wearing Apple Watch - Apple Support

Measure your heart rate with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Aug 1, 2015 4:15 AM in response to John Reed6

John Reed6 wrote:

Well, it just seems like overkill. It results in a whole bunch of data points accumulated in the "Health" app, way more than are needed. And, it's also a fact that pulse measurements drain the battery at a higher than normal rate, so I was thinking that limiting the frequency of measurement would also extend battery life.

As Jonathan explains, it isn't really more data than is needed. I haven't found battery drain during workouts to be unreasonable. Or even that much greater than during regular use.

Aug 1, 2015 4:55 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I've noticed battery drain during exercise, I appreciate not everyone may be in a position to notice it, but if I go on a 6 hour cycle the watch is often down to around 20% when I get back. I can usually charge it up enough for the rest of the day whilst having a shower and getting dressed, but days when I don't take the bike out or only do a couple of hours on it, the battery will easily last all day.

Aug 1, 2015 4:59 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill wrote:

I've noticed battery drain during exercise, I appreciate not everyone may be in a position to notice it, but if I go on a 6 hour cycle the watch is often down to around 20% when I get back. I can usually charge it up enough for the rest of the day whilst having a shower and getting dressed, but days when I don't take the bike out or only do a couple of hours on it, the battery will easily last all day.

I admit, I have not done any six hour workouts so far. Hour long workouts don't seem to make much difference. I generally end the day with about 50% charge.

Can pulse rate measurement frequency be controlled?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.