Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP SSD NOT RECOGNIZED

Hello friends,

I'm running a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) and I had a 120GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO installed last year to run OS X while my applications and files were on my original HDD. It was a sweet and problem free setup. The 500GB HHD was moved to replace the optical drive while the SSD was used as my main drive. Everything was working perfectly for about 5 months when my system all of a sudden froze up one day. I had to hard-restart my computer and on reboot I was brought to the boot-up page with an image of a circle with a line through it replacing the usual apple logo.

I had no choice but to reinstall OSX onto my HDD as my SDD had completely stopped working. I regularly back-up so it wasn't such a drama, but annoying anyways. I spent weeks reading about possible issues and TRIM seemed like the logical problem.. with that release of OS X, I read that I needed to enable TRIM so I went through countless measures but never ended up salvaging my SSD.

I was still under warrantee so I sent it back to Samsung. After about 5 weeks, I got my brand new SDD.

I've been forced to use only the HDD since the problem first came about which is still located where the optical drive used to be It is running OS X, my files and all my applications.

The other day, I opened up the computer and plugged my new SSD back into the computer (the main port which has been left disconnected for about 3 months) and booted up my system. Nothing appears in Disk Utility and I'm unable to do anything with the SSD. It's just plugged in and sitting useless in my computer. I've tried the TRIM enabler thing again but still, nothing.

I have my entire system backed up so I would like to essentially install OS X again on my SSD and move the files and applications to my HDD ...after I wipe it clean again.

Any helpful tips are really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

John

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 4:47 PM

3 replies

Jul 31, 2015 4:55 PM in response to turbojethellion

What do you mean by, "Nothing appears in Disk Utility?" In the Disk Utility sidebar do you see an out-dented entry for the SSD along with the topmost entry for the HDD? If nothing is truly the case, then check that the ribbon cable from the SSD to the motherboard is plugged in correctly. You may also have a bad ribbon cable that will need to be replaced.

Since the HDD is working in the optical drive port, then try connecting the SSD there to see if it is revealed in Disk Utility.

Jul 31, 2015 5:29 PM in response to turbojethellion

Put the HDD back in the normal location. Just switching the drives around so you can test. If the HDD works OK, then it's not likely a ribbon cable problem. If the SSD also shows up, then it was simply a mis-connection problem. But if the SSD does not show up then there is something wrong with it. Samsung's SSDs have had mixed issues with Apple laptops. You might wish to try an OCZ or OWC SSD.

HELP SSD NOT RECOGNIZED

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.