Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Excel 2011 is not opening files?

My problem is that I cannot open up Excel files on other computers within my company's network. If I create an Excel file on Computer A, then I can open it on Computer A, but I cannot open it from Computer B. I am able to copy files from Computer A onto Computer B's desktop and then open that Excel file. But I do not want to have to resort to transferring all files to Computer B's hard drive.

Here is the error message I receive when trying to open the network files:

<the folder which the file is stored in> could not be found.

Check the spelling of the file name, and verify that the file location is correct.

There are three things to note: 1) we can still open Microsoft Word for Mac files just fine; 2) the folder that the network files are stored in is called 'server', could that be part of the problem???; and 3) we are using Microsoft Office for Mac 2011.

We have updated Excel and all of the other Office programs, and creating an additional administrator account does not help whatsoever. Please help us, we don't like running the risk of losing important Excel data.

Best regards,

Peter

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Microsoft Excel for Mac 2011

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 6:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 7:03 PM

Are the word and excel files in the exact same folder on Computer A? Wondering if it could be a permissions issue. Did the same set up work before the latest MS Office update? Wondering if you should be on MS board instead of Apple.

5 replies

Aug 28, 2015 11:42 AM in response to Downtown Buzz

Okay, egg ALL OVER my face: I didn't realize that the shared folder name, 'server', actually includes the apostrophe marks, and if I had realized it, I would have typed "'server'". Sorry.

If anyone else has this problem, your first step should be to check your shared folder's name, and consult this article for unrecommended characters: http://www.officeformachelp.com/2012/11/office-2011-applications-fail-to-work-wi th-volumes-named-home/ and look at Sparkleberry's article as well, it gave me good ideas.

And if the frustrating issue persists, this post and its comments may help: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6613714?tstart=0

I have learned my lesson for sure.

Yay!!! PROBLEM SOLVED!

Excel 2011 is not opening files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.