Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2007 iMac: want to upgrade to iPhoto 9

I finally took the plunge just today and upgraded my iMac running 10.8.5 (Mtn Lion) to Mavericks.

While the install was smooth, sadly, I have lost the ability to use some important work-related software that I bought. But if I can upgrade from iPhoto 8 to iPhoto 9, the situation may improve. Does anyone know whether upgrading to iPhoto 9 is possible? I cannot seem to locate it in the App Store.

I assume it is because Yosemite has switched things to the new "Photos" app.

I have NO plan to upgrade to Yosemite.

🙂 I am in fear of Yosemite, as I do not think that my 2007 intel iMac could handle it. I am defiitely upgrading slowly and carefully with my older desktop Mac.

Thanks for any assistance.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 4:58 PM

9 replies

Aug 1, 2015 2:50 AM in response to drobi

I finally took the plunge just today and upgraded my iMac running 10.8.5 (Mtn Lion) to Mavericks.

Which Mavericks version do you have?

If you upgraded to MacOS X 10.9.5, the latest Mavericks version, you need iPhoto 9.5.1. But the last version you can download from Apple's download page is iPhoto 9.4.3, that will not run on the latest Mavericks version.

Aug 1, 2015 6:27 AM in response to léonie

AS OF YESETRDAYS UPGRADE: 10.9.5. That's where i will stop in term of OS running in a 2007 Intel Mac. I may try the suggestion from Larry, to purchase an iLife DVD as a means of buying iPhoto 9. That appears to be the only way it is available to a consumer in my

situation. But will the DVD be iPhoto 9.5.1? And, if I am successfully running iPhoto 8 with Mavericks, isn't it possible iPhoto 9.0 will work?

btw, is there a LINK to apple's download page that you reference in your post? if so, pls share.

I thank everyone here for taking the time to make these helpful suggestions!

Aug 1, 2015 10:50 AM in response to drobi

But will the DVD be iPhoto 9.5.1?

Larry described that in his post. The iLife '11 DVD will be an early version if iPhoto '11, iPhoto 9.2.x or similar.

Old Toad posted a list of iPhoto versions compatible with Mavericks:

Re: Mavericks was reinstalled now I iPhoto is gone

This screenshot shows which previous versions of iPhoto are compatible with Mavericks. It also indicates which versions qualify for a free upgrade to iPhoto 9.5.1 and which require a purchase:

User uploaded file

The compatibility of iPhoto 9.4.x changed with the latest Mavericks versions. MacOS X 10.9.5 requires iPhoto 9.5.1.

Aug 1, 2015 1:04 PM in response to léonie

Ok, this last post and screen shot are very useful. Thanks for posting it.

I guess if there is simply no way to buy or to download iphoto 9.5, then i will stand pat with iPhoto 8.

Also, I use time Machine to back up every month or so. So far, the 2007 iMac does not seem to run slower with Mavericks when compared with how it ran with Mountain Lion.

Thanks again ! 😎

2007 iMac: want to upgrade to iPhoto 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.