Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finding Contacts from iPhone back-up

Hi. I am trying to find retrieve my contacts from my old phone. I just backed up my old iPhone onto iTunes and can find my backup using ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/ but I don't know what to do with any of this information. It is simply a bunch of random folders with text codes. I read something about iTunes>Preferences>Device but it only lets me delete the backup from there. PLEASE help! Also- using iCloud isn't an option in this case. Thanks in advance!

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 7:17 PM

6 replies

Jul 31, 2015 7:24 PM in response to qtl123

So you can't load the full backup onto a new phone? And you could, but don't want to use iCloud? Why isn't iCloud an option for you? You don't need cellular service, just any old wifi connection so I don't understand why it is not an option. iCloud is the easiest option, otherwise follow Aven's advice.

Jul 31, 2015 7:27 PM in response to UGADog

My old iPhone (an iPhone 4s) is working and can be synched but the screen is black. We can tell that it is on because we can hear a screenshot if we press the home and lock screen. Loading the full backup onto a new phone would work perfectly fine but I don't know how to do that.. We are mostly concerned about getting the contacts back. iCloud isn't an option because our family's iCloud has been messed up for months. We disabled it after we were receiving each other's contacts. After this incident we will be making iClouds for each of our family members but for now we are resorting to backing up.

Jul 31, 2015 7:39 PM in response to qtl123

I see. Yes, no iphone screen is a insurmountable problem unless you replace the screen. Even if you created a temp iCloud for just this contact recovery purpose you need a screen for iPhone for the old iPhone to use the cloud.

I could walk you through how to restore the information to the replacement phone, but doing that would cause you to lose the data currently on that phone that is not on the old phone. Which data is more important? What's on the old phone or what is on the replacement phone you've been using?

If new phone data must be maintained (photos, contacts, notes, reminders - mail and apps can be redownloaded) then third party recovery app is for you.

Jul 31, 2015 8:26 PM in response to qtl123

Ok. Here are the steps. This assumes you have been operating the new phone for a time.

1) Back Up New Phone.

- Plug in new phone to Computer

- Open iTunes

- Select device (phone icons at top left of iTunes, closest to center)

- Select Summary from the left sidebar

- Got to Backups section and select Back Up Now under Manually Back Up and Restore (right side)

- Wait for Back Up to complete by monitoring activity at top of iTunes

- Latest back up should now read Today at very recent time

2) Back Up Old Phone

- Same steps as above but with old phone

- Disconnect old Phone from USB Cable when back up is complete (do not plug in New phone the usb cable yet)

3) Know your wifi SSID (Broadcast name) and password before proceeding.

4) Reset New iPhone - This will cause data loss, but apps can be downloaded again and mail should be safe on the server unless you told server to delete email after it is downloaded (POP 3)

- General > Reset > Reset All Settings

- Read and understand the warning message then it Reset (or ok or yes, I don't remember the exact item to agree)

- Wait for New Phone to reset. You will get a hello message.

5) Restore old Phone Data to New Phone

- Plug in usb / lightning cable to New Phone

- You should get a Setup iPhone message, Choose restore from iTunes Backup

- Select the backup of old phone you just made. It should be the last back up and be named after Old Phone with a very recent date and time

- Wait for restore to complete. You can monitor activity in iTunes header.

- Phone will reboot and iTunes may say it cannot communicate with New iPhone. This is not a problem. Wait for new phone to start again.

Your old phone data should now be on your New Phone. You may want to update the iOS to the latest version now. Back up New Phone again before updating iOS

Finding Contacts from iPhone back-up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.