Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV3 doesn't Home Share photos any more

I have recently discovered that my AppleTV3 is no longer using my entire iPhoto Library as a source for its screen saver. Likewise, I've discovered the Photo option has disappeared from the Computers app. I confirmed that iTunes is set to share pictures from iPhoto, too. I have a huge photo library, which I do not wish to upload to iCloud. I suspected that perhaps it was because Apple is no longer supporting iPhoto, but I don't seen an option to view pictures from a Photos library either, and if that's the case, why does iTunes still show that option in Home Sharing?

Is there no longer any option to view locally stored pictures on the AppleTV?

AppleTV 3rd Gen, iOS 7.2

iMac, OS X Yosemite 10.10.4

iPhoto 9.6.1

Photos 1.0.1

iTunes 12.2.1.16

Apple TV, 3rd Gen / iOS 7.2

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 6:08 PM

10 replies

Aug 1, 2015 3:22 PM in response to vazandrew

The problem isn't whether or not to use iCloud in Photos. The problem is there is no means to stream photos locally from my iMac to the AppleTV3. There is no longer the Photos option in the Computers app when I select my iMac. The only other area which could access my iPhoto library was the Screen Saver, and that still says to configure it in iTunes, which it is. The only options iTunes shows is to share from iPhoto or Aperture. Photos isn't even listed. The only means to share photos from Photos is via iCloud and the iCloud Photos app on the AppleTV3. I really don't think I should have to pay for the iCloud storage necessary to host my photo library just to regain functionality that had been available for years but was removed recently. The software developers at Apple seem to have lost sight of Apple's tagline "It just works."

Aug 1, 2015 9:24 PM in response to vazandrew

If you'll look at my original posting, all of my software is at current versions, and yes, I've rebooted since I first noticed that Photo streaming was missing on the AppleTV. As I mentioned previously, I've tried home sharing from Photos, but iTunes does not even present Photos as an option for a photo source for Home Sharing. It only offers iPhoto, Aperture, or a specified folder. It doesn't matter anyway, because there's nothing on the AppleTV side to view the photos.

iOS 7.2 for AppleTV no longer has the option of viewing Photos when you select the Computers app for Home Sharing, and the Screen Saver setting only has a note to set up Home Sharing in iTunes, which is already done. I know it's working, because I can access my Music and Video libraries just fine from the AppleTV. The reason I bring up iCloud Photo is because it is the only means on the AppleTV for viewing photos. So yes, you would have to use the iCloud Photo Library, because iCloud Photo is currently the only means I can see for viewing all photos via AppleTV. I have it disabled in Photos, and all I have access to via the AppleTV is what's in My Photo Stream, which is but a small portion of my entire photo library.

If you are able to stream photos via Home Share to your AppleTV without using iCloud Photo, I'd be curious as to what version iOS your AppleTV has installed.

Aug 1, 2015 9:54 PM in response to UGADog

UGADog, that link did help with Photos not appearing as a viable source in iTunes. For some reason the Photos library wasn't set as the System Library. When I restarted iTunes, Photos came up as an option for the Home Sharing source. Unfortunately, I won't be able to test the AppleTV for a while, because my wife is watching movie. It was also helpful to know that you're seeing the same thing on your AppleTV3.

Aug 1, 2015 10:01 PM in response to vazandrew

vazandrew, I didn't intend to imply that iCloud Photo Library was tied to Home Sharing in any way. I was only saying that the only option that is currently available to me on my AppleTV3 to view photos is the iCloud Photo app, which requires the use of the iCloud Photo Library. I have tried logging out and logging back into Home Sharing both on the AppleTV3 and in iTunes, but nothing changed. As I mentioned to UGADog, I set the Photos library as the System Library, and that made it available as a source in the iTunes Home Sharing settings area, but I can't see if that makes any difference as the AppleTV3 is occupado.

AppleTV3 doesn't Home Share photos any more

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.