Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to store photos and videos on the Mac?

I use an external hard drive to save my photos and videos. Now it has run out of space. What si best way to store photos and videos in one place so I am not accessing different sources over time ?

Also, I have another external hard drive with photos and videos but does not seem to open from photos? I have to go to Finder and click on each photo one by one. How do I make this part of Photos?

Thanks

iMac, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 8:49 PM

6 replies

Jul 31, 2015 8:59 PM in response to Bhagyesh Dash

More than a bit vague

The best way to store photos and videos depends on your desires and needs

in the context of the iPhoto application where you posted the best way is in one library on a drive formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) that is large enough to hold the library

But then you ask about Photos which is a totally different program but for photos this answer is the same

And neither iPhoto nor Photos are photo viewers - they are both Database Photo managers and to see a photo you must import it to the database first

Remember we can not see you so you need to provide clear details and a complete question

LN

Aug 1, 2015 8:48 PM in response to LarryHN

Ok thanks Larry. I am new to Mac and not particularly computer proficient as is obvious. Had not seen your response but posted a reply to your response to another query I had.

Seems a large EHD is probably the best compared with monthly charges to Apple for iCloud. So, my queries are - a) would this be best course, & b) how does one format the EHD?

Best way to store photos and videos on the Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.