Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rented movie on laptop, cannot get to Apple TV

I rented but did not watch a movie via iTunes on my Macbook Pro. I thought it would show up automatically under "Movies" in Apple TV, but it did not, I guess because it downloaded to the laptop.

The rental shows up under "This Computer." I thought I would be able to see it under "Computers" on the Apple TV, but it won't show up.

My old iMac, also running 10.10.4, will show up on the Apple TV. The settings on iTunes on both computers re: sharing is the same. But if the old iMac is off, no computers show up under Apple TV's "computer tab. I'm supposed to turn on home sharing in iTunes, the Apple TV tells me. I assume this means to select the "Share my library on my local network" option under Preferences. Sure would make more sense if that preference were called "home sharing."

It just occurred to me that I might be able to get the rental to show up in iTunes on the old Mac. But really, I'd just like to get it to work with the laptop.

I've tried restarting all devices; restarting iTunes; renaming my laptop under "sharing"; signing out and in of Apple TV.

So I'm stumped. 10.10.4 on both iMac and Macbook Pro, and latest OS upgrade on the latest model of Apple TV.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 31, 2015 10:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 1:39 AM

I assume this means to select the "Share my library on my local network" option under Preferences. Sure would make more sense if that preference were called "home sharing."

That's sharing. Home sharing is turned on from the file menu in iTunes.

4 replies

Aug 1, 2015 11:24 AM in response to George Krompacky

As per About renting movies from the iTunes Store - Apple Support

If you rented the movie on your computer, but want to watch it on an iOS device, connect the devices and sync using USB. When you move a rented movie from your computer, it will disappear from your computer’s iTunes library. You can move the movie between devices as often as you want, but you can only have it on one device at a time.

If you rented the movie on your iOS device or Apple TV, you can’t move it to any other device.

This might be also helpful article: Use AirPlay to wirelessly stream content from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Rented movie on laptop, cannot get to Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.