Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Impossible to reinstall Snow Leopard after changing hard drive

Hello everybody,

I have a 2010 Mac Book Pro (13") and recently the hard drive died, I went to the apple store where I was reoriented to a "partner" who changed the hard drive. But even though I have the original boot CD (Snow leopard 10.6.8), I can't boot on it, if I hold C I got nothing but a folder with a question mark blinking on top. If I hold ALT (while booting) I have the "Install OS CD" that appears but if I click on it I get a white screen for about 2 minutes then the mac just shuts down.

I tried different keys while booting but ALT seems to be the only one that actually does something.

I dont know what to do, someone already had this problem ? Is there something I'm missing ?

Thank you in advance,

Regards
PS : Post was in the Mac Book Pro 13" section but it seems to fit here better.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 1, 2015 2:54 AM

7 replies

Aug 1, 2015 4:13 AM in response to Breubz

The MBP is still set to the old drive, so it doesn't see the new one.

If you have a clone on an external drive made before the drive was switched, boot to that first by holding down the Option key at the startup chime and select the external to boot from. Then select and format the new internal (GUID/Mac OS Extended Jounaled). Then clone over the external to the internal.

Or, boot to the USB drive--Option key again, select the USB drive to boot to and do the formatting in Disk Utility from there, then clone it over. If you don't have some kind of cloning program, like CCC or SuperDuper, you can do this from Disk Utility-->Restore.

Expect a long boot time for the first boot of the new internal.

Impossible to reinstall Snow Leopard after changing hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.